Willow or Sweet chestnut?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Went out today, to find some willow. Found a bunch so coppiced a wee bit out for carving a try stick.

Now what i think was willow i now think was actually sweet chestnut but i'm not sure and need to find out.

Don't have pics but i'll describe it's properties, It is easy to remove the inner and outer bark, the inner bark should make great cordage, the wood smelled and felt like wet potatoe and it carves like one too.

The leaves look like willow but are more jaggedy edged.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sweet chestnut should have big catkins or even fruit on by now, the leaves are usually much bigger too. I think even on young coppiced growth the leaves are quite big. The top of the leaf should be smooth and hairless on chestnut, on willow is silvery haired on both sides

There are similarities so it's hard to call without seeing any piccies

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
I'd be rather surprised (though pleasantly so) if you found sweet chestnut as far north as Fife. I understood it only really grew in fairly southern England.

Cheers

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd be rather surprised (though pleasantly so) if you found sweet chestnut as far north as Fife. I understood it only really grew in fairly southern England.

Cheers

Plenty here in Yorkshire Ian, the fruit has been very poor for the last few years though.

I think there's a sweet chestnut up at Loch Sween, could've been a horse chestnut though thinking about it.

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I know what i have done.

I hand draw trees when in the woods then id them when i get home. I forget to put a heading in my notes and got lost in the process.

The wood is willow.

Is it just me or is it prone to splitting when green?

I was carving a few round reductions for a trap and the kept splitting perfectly square.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I know of Sweet Chestnut in the Glasgow area, I am looking forward to my foraging 'cos they make a great topping for a bramble and apple crumble :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE