Willow basket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sawyer

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2010
somewhere
Hi guys,

thinking of making a willow basket some time soon and just wondering if anyone here has made one and has any tips.

The plan is to follow this excellent tutorial http://www.bushcraft.ridgeonnet.com/basicbasket.htm.

One Q I have is. How long do you have to let the willow dry for and is it then just a matter of soaking it in water for a few days before starting? Is it possible to use freshly cut willow by drying over a fire?

Thanks!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Harvest the willow at the end of winter.
You can use it without soaking for about 2 weeks.
After that soak it for a day per foot.

or so I have been told.....

Sawyer

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2010
somewhere
Thanks John. Do you know how long do I need to dry it for and if its possible to just use freshly cut willow and dry over a fire?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The only reason to dry the willow is to store it without it becoming mildewed.
Once made, the basket will dry out naturally and won't need toasted by the fire.
If you heat dry the willow at all it will become brittle.
Not recommended.

cheers,
Toddy

Sawyer

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2010
somewhere
The only reason to dry the willow is to store it without it becoming mildewed.
Once made, the basket will dry out naturally and won't need toasted by the fire.
Toddy

Ahh, okay. I had read it was because if you make the basket and then let it dry it will shrink and distort the basket as well as loosening the weaving.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
we made some baskets at school, i think the willow was soacked for about 3-5 days, then used, but leftovers were simply put back to soak and used next lesson.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fresh willow is 'lively'. It shrinks but only in diameter not in length. Hedgerow basketry it's usually called when used fresh.
Basket making willows come in assorted varieties. Buffs have been steamed/boiled and the skins stripped off and then they are dried. These rods soak very quickly for use. Willow, in the brown, with the skin left on, takes days to soak properly so that it can be used without cracking. That said, buffs and browns will make excellent baskets and the dried rods will keep for years if properly stored.
Perhaps some of the willow suppliers sites might answer your question ?

http://www.willowgrowers.co.uk/willow-growing.htm

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE