willow bark uses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 14, 2008
uk
I know from reading survival books/bushcraft books that willow bark can be used for cordage, but is there any other uses for it?

I know that lime bark can be used as tinder is it the same for willow bark?

cheers

Adam

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
natures aspirin which is good for root hormone, acne wash, starting dead car batteries, good for stoping heartattacks, pain relief. Fishing poles, baskets, fire boards, arrow shafts, weak cordage, beaver bait, catkins hairs for fire tinder, stitches for bad children, wattle fence material, fish trap materials, and the list goes on and on.

Mahikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2008
Canada
www.mahikan.ca
Salicylic acid is in the bark, chew it and it releases it as a good natural pain killer. Very bitter.

Native Americans used it knik knik a smoking mixture.

We actually call it Kinnikinnick (it is from red osier dog wood as well as the actual Kinnikinnick plant, and a few others to make the smoking mixture)
Other uses are:
Antiseptic and antifungal
My kookhum (grandmother) used it to treat goiter
Antispasmodic
Arthritis
Chewed leaves were used on bee/wasp stings
Bladder infection (inner bark tea)
For bad burns my kookhum used to lay the inner bark over a burn, it took the pain away and helped to heal
A gargle for all sorts of mouth problems from canker sores to sore throats
Bark with leaf juice was considered a contraceptive
A bark decoction was used for nerve pain
Some of our elders say they used it for tuberculosis (can't be certain, but it's what they tell me)
And willow bark wraps on sore and inflamed conditions of any kind from arthritis to skin inflammation, just add heat

Tons more, but those are the more traditional uses I remember from my family

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Willow bark's an odd one at times.
It makes really good cordage, if used wet. It's among the earliest surviving examples in Europe, but only when found in wet situations.

If you really have to chew the bark to get the pain relief look for goat willow, it's sweeter tasting and every bit as effective.
Best not to do it on an empty stomach though.

The OP asked about it's use as tinder....the little downy catkins work well, and the twigs and barks as extenders, but it's as charcoal that it really comes into it's own.
The charcoal not only burns well, but if ground down to fine and taken as a tea (pretty gross) it helps stop the trots and eases windy indigestion.

Old English books, herbals and almanacs call it willowfine. It's an anti inflammatory and eases arthritic pain (and toothache, incidentally; not an excuse not to see the dentist but it'll tide you over when you're out and something flares up) it doesn't work as quickly as the commercial products as a pain killer, but the effects seem to come on slow and linger for longer. You don't need to take another dose in the middle of the night kind of thing.
Very good for backache ( probably why w00dsmoke said how bitter it was ? ) and long lasting aching pains from joints and tendons.
Good for mentruation cramps and aches; very soothing.

There are some valid contra-indications though.....not good at all if you have ulcers, don't use if a rash develops (usually neck and chest) and don't mix it with prescription drugs since it interferes with some. Asthmatics are also best to be very wary of it.
It's very good for 'flu symptoms but nowadays, since it's an 'aspirin', definitely not advised for children.

Well worth becoming familiar with the willows :approve: exceptionally useful trees :)

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE