William Rogers knife set info

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
A few weeks back I picked up a pair of William Rogers knives in a single sheath and described as 1930s. I know a little about William Rogers knives but could not find any similar examples. I intend to clean them up and use them but before I do I would like to ensure they're not a rare item. I'll probably make seperate sheaths for them. Any tips on what to use to nourish the stacked leather handles.

willrogknives.jpg

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Methinks that sheath had a previous life holding knife, pliers and marlinespike.
I had wondered what would have fitted down the side of the sheath and a quick google does indeed show a marlinspike. So looks like the sheath doesn't go with the knives so probably not a set. The sheath does look fairly old and good quality and has a made in England stamp.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've sanded whatever varnish was left on my 1950s Estwing stacked leather washer hammer and then I slathered it in boiled Linseed oil/danish oil mix a few times.
It's about the same colour as your knife and I'm guessing its used a lot more than any knife is cos its every working day and lets face it, it wasn't even close to new when I got it.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Nice find. I hope your project goes well.
Methinks that sheath had a previous life holding knife, pliers and marlinespike.
Regards
Ceeg
Absolutely, a spike 1 possibly two knives or one knife and a ***** (Small spike) and a pair of side cutters at the front.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Nice find. I hope your project goes well.
Regards
Ceeg
Agree

An original set up would come in a sheath like this
Dad_knife_2.jpg

William Rodgers stopped making knives a very long time ago, the trade mark was traded many times. Thomas Hobson used the mark in the late 19th century. JohnClark advertised the trademark up intil the 20th century. Since the 1980s its been used by the Egginton Group.

if I were to take a stab I'd say 50's post war sinces towards the 70's they tended to be made stainless and post war there was alot of cheap steel about

Reactions: brancho

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Agree

An original set up would come in a sheath like this
View attachment 69545

William Rodgers stopped making knives a very long time ago, the trade mark was traded many times. Thomas Hobson used the mark in the late 19th century. JohnClark advertised the trademark up intil the 20th century. Since the 1980s its been used by the Egginton Group.

if I were to take a stab I'd say 50's post war sinces towards the 70's they tended to be made stainless and post war there was alot of cheap steel about
Yes. This looks exactly like the set up I had when a scout in the early 1950's. Mine was carbon steel. I don't recall seeing any stainless knives outside the kitchen in that period.

i still have a William Rodgers "Bushman's Friend ".

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My husband still has his Scout knife, and it would match those two just perfectly.
I doubt they're rare, they were the standard scout knife for a long while. His was bought in the late 1950's.

Reactions: oldtimer

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
The top one appears to have a sub hilt handle usually found on fighting knlves. Nice pair and still a lot of useful life left in them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE