Wilkinson sword Type D

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snooky

Nov 19, 2013
Tadley
I have just managed to obtain one of these and even though the sheath and handle are tatty I would say the blade has never been used, probably thrown in a cupboard and just left to bounce around.
What is a good way to sharpen these? worth a regrind to change the shape or just leave as is and sharpen as normal.
Already removed the varnish and oiled the wood :) and if I decide to keep it will look for someone to make a nice sheath for it.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Don't grind it, simply use a course stone/fine file to remove a tiny but of bevel meat and then sharpen as usual.

Got a PIC??

Snooky

Nov 19, 2013
Tadley
What are they like? Have my trusty woodcraft knife for smaller work and carving so guess this is more for chopping and hacking

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I had one for a while - it was a great tool ideal for splitting & heavy work. Mine produced reasonable feathersticks but was not 'shaving sharp'. I found the top of the guard got in the way so filed it off. I think it makes a reasonable alternative to a small axe depending on what your doing.

I think the grind is designed for heavy work so it might be best not to change it? There's been a few modded versions on BCUK over the years I've been here. Enjoy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE