Wildwood Wisdom

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Wildwood Wisdom is a superb book, not stictly because of what it teaches but because of what it inspires in the reader in the way of ideas.

as for a comparison to 'Bushcraft', you simply can't compare them on any level.

if I had to have one I would have mors kochanski's 'Bushcraft', it provides the foundation on which all other bushcraft knowleadge can be built.

get both if you can and if you enjoy 'bushcraft' come to the Bushmoot next month and meet Mors in person

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Wildwood wisdom is definitely written in a more romantic style, while Mors's book is more a reference manual.
I love the little caricatures in WW though!
It's got loads of little projects and things in it - more for anachronism than specifically for practical use, but still a good workout for your skills.
I think it's also a lot more focused on American frontier type woodcraft too.

Go on, Buy it!

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Yes great book, seems to have more of a focus on mountain man, native american skills etc and has lots of useful info. Was written in the early 1940's I believe so some of the info is abit outdated (like the stuff on clothing) but is a great read nonetheless.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
ScottC said:
Yes great book, seems to have more of a focus on mountain man, native american skills etc and has lots of useful info. Was written in the early 1940's I believe so some of the info is abit outdated (like the stuff on clothing) but is a great read nonetheless.

I thought bushcraft was all about being outdated. :lmao: :lmao:

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
True, don't think I'd be too comfortable in breeches and wool shirts these days though!

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
By the way Phil, I see you have the front cover of Wolf Brother as your avatar. Have you read it? I think it's a great bushcraft story, even though it's a kids' book.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
sodajoe said:
By the way Phil, I see you have the front cover of Wolf Brother as your avatar. Have you read it? I think it's a great bushcraft story, even though it's a kids' book.

I have, several times, and it's successor Spirit Walker.

It could be construed as a kids book, but I find it full of softly taught messages - a very magical book indeed, IMHO.

It's very reminiscent of American Indian teaching, which I love....there is a great connection throughout the series with a wolf, which is, as you probably know, in many cultures the wolf represented the teacher spirit, and guardian.

The Singing Wilderness

At last I caught what I was listening for...
the long drawn howl from over the hills,
a sound that was wilderness music...
something as free and untamed as there is on earth.

Sigurd F. Olson

Have a look at This superb website

Phil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE