Wildlife sounds of Britain and Ireland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Wildlife Sounds of Britain and Ireland
By Geoff Sample
Collins 2006
ISBN 0-00-720906-1
£14.99 hardback

Just seen an advert for this book and cd. Apparently covers everything from Death Watch beetles to Orca whales.

I already have the Collins Guide to Bird Songs and Calls which is very good.

If anyone has a copy a quick review would be useful.

Reactions: British Red

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Wolfie

I came across this in Ottakars just before Easter and bought a copy which I listened to over the long weekend.

It is really very good and an excellent companion to GS's birdsong CD's. For your money you get a book and CD. The book contains info on the species recorded and others which are similar (audibly) but which are not on the CD. There's well over an hour of recordings on the CD and it's arranged around wildlife sounds found in the House, Garden, Beyond, Field and hedges, Heathland, Night-time, Woodland - southern, Woodland - Northern, Pond, Underwater, Wetlands, Coastal, and Marine; with comments and tips from GS thrown in too.

The recordings are very good and arranged sensibly. For instance many of the common grasshopper and bush cricket recordings are clustered together via relevant habitat which should help tremendously when trying to ID them - I can just see myself out in the fields later this summer with a personal CD player rummaging through the grass!!

In addition to info on the species and others, the book also discusses the use of sound by animals, birds etc. and really opens your eyes (and ears!!) to the purpose behind what you hear and when you hear it. There is also information on equipment and listening tips.

In my opinion this is an excellent publication - well worth £14.99 of anyone's money. Do bear in mind though that it doesn't contain every sound made by each species chosen but that aside it is still fairly comprehensive.

Buy it and enjoy it!

Bob :)

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Thanks Bob for the info.

Looks like another book will be added to the overcrowded bookshelf pretty soon!.

I've got a copy of Simon King's Wildguide book which came with a tape of animal sounds but unfortunately I seem to have mislaid the tape. This new book looks like it may be an ideal replacement.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I can see my already thin wallet shedding a little more weight very shortly. this looks like a very nice addition to any naturalist book shelf

thanks guys

James

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
I found a birdsong CD in my local library the other day. Very interesting listening and the best thing is that I was able to convert it to MP3 and save it on my player! Now, whenever I'm out in the woods and hear a bird I can check I've ID'd it correctly by listening to it on my MP3 player. :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wolfie said:
Wildlife Sounds of Britain and Ireland
By Geoff Sample
Collins 2006
ISBN 0-00-720906-1
£14.99 hardback

Just seen an advert for this book and cd. Apparently covers everything from Death Watch beetles to Orca whales.

I already have the Collins Guide to Bird Songs and Calls which is very good.

If anyone has a copy a quick review would be useful.
Could you dig out the Collins guide to birdson ISBN for me mate please? Sounds like just what I have been looking for (oh and have a rep point for a very useful thread)

Red

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
British Red said:
Could you dig out the Collins guide to birdson ISBN for me mate please? Sounds like just what I have been looking for (oh and have a rep point for a very useful thread)

Red

No Problem. The ISBN is 0-00-220037-6.

£16.50 on amazon

Here's what the review on amazon says about it;

"Synopsis
This field guide helps to identify bird sounds. The guide is organised by habitat, with atmospheric backgrounds and voice-overs discussing how to tell the difference between each species, so the reader can quickly learn all the calls he can hear when visiting his local wood, or marshland RSPB reserve. Over 158 species are covered, the focus being on common birds and birds that are difficult to separate visually, but easy when the calls are heard. The accompanying booklet gives background information on each species, plus an introductory section on bird song, where and when it can be heard, and how to make your own recordings."

There's also a book with CD on Garden Bird songs and calls ISBN 000220214X;

"Synopsis
In a brand-new recording Geoff Sample, author of the best-selling Field Guide Bird Songs and Calls, provides an audio guide to the bird song you hear in parks and gardens. The CD includes over 60 minutes of digitally recorded sound and covers 40 of the most common and vocal garden birds. Each recording is introduced by the author with a voice-over that gives a brief interpretation of the song or call. The booklet included contains details of each recording and also gives useful advice on how to listen to and interpret the sounds you hear. If you would like to be able to identify the birds in your garden by sound rather than by sight then this is the guide for you."

and also a Bird Call Identification Field Guide ISBN 0002201224

"Synopsis
In "Collins Field Guide to Bird Songs and Calls", Geoff Sample introduced a way of helping to identify bird songs. In this companion volume he covers a further 130 species and helps the reader to identify some of the trickier and rarer species. Each group is grouped together on the basis of what they sound like. Starting with a common, familiar species, the listener is introduced to the variation between each similar-sounding species. Geoff Sample also explains the major differences between the species, so that the listener can identify the species with ease. The accompanying book highlights these differences and also gives background information on when and where you are likely to hear each species singing, further helping to identify the bird. This CD and book is aimed at everybody who has difficulty in identifying bird song in the wild, whether common or rare birds."

All 3 are published by Collins and the author is Geoff Sample.

Hope this helps!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE