Wildlife pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Now the worst of Winter is done it looks like the world is starting to wake up...

32479256264_a428ef5f9b_c.jpg

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
A couple of nice shots Wander

Here are some springtails from a short Garden safari last month

Found on a dead Fatsia japonica leaf

Hanging around by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Springtail Dicyrtomina saundersi by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Springtail 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

On a piece of wood

Springtail 6 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Springtail 3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

On the water butt where they graze on the moss

What do you think?

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
What do I think... Brilliant pictures, really like your macro stuff as well as your landscape pictures around the lakes.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Last edited:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
This photo comes with a bit of an odd story. A couple of years ago while out walking I found 3 rowan seedlings sprouting out of a rotten gatepost. I scooped them out with what little soil they had and carried them home in a bag (It was an unused dog poop bag but the story sounds more mystic if I just say bag). I planted the seedlings into 3 pots and added them to my future arboritum of trees that I've grown, found or saved over the years. The biggest seedling grew strongly and was planted out into a new patch of woodland in the spring last year. The next biggest needed a bit more pot time but was a fine looking young tree by the autumn.
Over the winter I decided to remove a pair of straggly conifers from a bed in front of my house and plant the rowan in their place. If you don't know rowans were traditionally planted in front of houses as a tree of protection so it seemed like a good thing to do. On saturday I was working on a dry stone wall in the garden and talking with my wife about how I wish the common lizards that used to thrive in the garden would return to enjoy the wall. There used to be a good population of lizards about 6 or 7 years ago but something decimated the population and I haven't seen one since then.
On sunday I removed the conifiers root and all and prepared the ground for the new tree. I'd just finished firming the ground around the trunk when a common lizard walked out of the daffodils and stopped right under the tree. I'd obviously woken it up from hibernation as it could barely keep its eyes open. I placed it on a sunny rock by my new wall and it soon revived enough to go off exploring. By chance I found a passage in a book by Glennie Kindred about the rowan tree last night and apparently the tree is also associated with serpents and dragons in mythology and were said to be guarded by dragons. I'm not one to read too much into that kind of thing but I keep an open mind...

P1140747_zpsnoawenoh.jpg

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
It would also be a better story if I said the last tree was planted near to where I found the seedlings growing in the rotten gatepost and became an amazing landmark but in reality a snail ate the last one before it reached 4" tall and the ground near the post was bulldozed for housing so we'll all just pretend it happened ok? :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE