Wildlife cameras?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Does anyone have any experience with wildlife cameras? The type that you strap to a tree and they automatically shoot stills and/or video when activated by movement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Yes. Get one you can lock shut and lock to the tree or whatever. Or get a protective steel cover to lock it into. I have lost a couple now, even when they are bdeep in a private woodland

Wildlife watching supplies has some interesting mounting solutions for trail cameras if you do get one

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Those videos you posted (in Wildlife Pictures thread) are better quality than I get on either Little Acorn or Crenova cameras I have; I'm very impressed. Maybe it's my bad technique but all my 'night' shots come out very grainy.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Those videos you posted (in Wildlife Pictures thread) are better quality than I get on either Little Acorn or Crenova cameras I have; I'm very impressed. Maybe it's my bad technique but all my 'night' shots come out very grainy.

Thanks.
I think the camera was circa £70 or so.

I've no doubt you get better photography with high end ambush cams but the mental problem I encountered was that a friend who had Three similar cameras had one ' stolen' from where he left it in a public ( albeit very quiet / unused ) area.

I know some of the pricey units will send the photos and video via 3G direct to ones phone but I would feel deeply embittered if one was to be taken and I lost it.

The unwritten rule i think with Trail Cams is the longer you leave them out , the better the results and what you can film - but unless that is on your own Private land you run the risk of it going walkabout - and thats when the mental paranoia ( at least for me.. :) ) kicks in.

Fortunately that little stream that the Otter and Stoat are traversing is about zero foot from my back patio on a small stream running alongside the property.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Nice. Thanks for that.
I would probably put them out late evening and go back early morning. I’m wanting a trail camera to confirm movement of certain animals that I suspect through tracking and observation are in a certain area.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Nice. Thanks for that.
I would probably put them out late evening and go back early morning. I’m wanting a trail camera to confirm movement of certain animals that I suspect through tracking and observation are in a certain area.

Yeah, Thats kinda of the my point. Its the paranoia game.. You can obviously choose your siting position more carefully to a less human friendly approach.

Or camouflage the unit yourself as much as possible with scrim or moss etc,

But I don't think interfering with the area every day is going to give good results.

Can I ask what animals you think are moving through?

Have you considered a sandbox to gather tracks?

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I’ve been tracking/observing some Sika Deer on early morning sit spots. They are easier to track because they stay in damper area.
I found a fox den and wanted to set a camera up to see what was going on. Also have some critters living under my shed!
Usually I’m trying a non tech sit and watch approach at dawn and dusk. This time of year that is getting later and earlier!
I don’t want to take an ‘alien’ substrate to the woodland I go to and it’s getting too dry now to brush out the tracks and get good results.
The camera may work well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE