Wildcats

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have decided on Scotland for my holiday this year and intend trying to see some unusual sights.

(some of the islands are buggers to get to, I have found)

and I realy want to see a wildcat

where would be the best place to go and what time of day?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Tengu said:
I have decided on Scotland for my holiday this year and intend trying to see some unusual sights.

(some of the islands are buggers to get to, I have found)

and I realy want to see a wildcat

where would be the best place to go and what time of day?

Seing a wildcat is probably highly unrealistic. From what I hear, they are so illusive that very few Scots have ever seen one.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
It is a bit of a tall order. I've only seen two. Both on the same path up the Urie on Arran, years apart, both in the evening.

The path isn't on the map. Ref is NS011294.
Couldn't say what your chances would be of just going there and seeing one, pretty slim I reckon.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not going to be easy Tengu; the Wildcat is a dawn and dusk hunter, generally solitary and it blends beautifully into it's preferred forest habitat.

There are a couple in wildlife parks though, maybe not ideal but at least that way you'd know what you were looking for.

It's a bonnie beast, big, hefty looking with a thicker tail than the common moggie, black rings around the tail and the ears sit kind of flat (as though it's listening sideways and behind, anyone who has a cat will know what I mean :rolleyes: )

Surely we can find links to parks that hold them, I know there's supposedly a captive breeding programme, which is awkward because unlike domestic cats they have a breeding season, something to do with them being native and the housecat being brought in around the time of the Romans to be pets and protect granaries from mice; Brits buried their grain in cists and the like.

Never mind the wolf, bring back the cats, the lynx was native here too :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Rod

On a new journey
They are very solitary and tend to be nocturnal - like most cats.

I saw one at a wildlife centre in the New Forest. It had just had a litter of kittens. All very very cute looking, but also very vicious looking. From what I understand they are quite ferocious.

You have been warned Tengu!

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Not an easy task at all but good luck none the less. I've only seen captive ones. I have convinced myself that I've found their tracks a couple of times, either that or it was a domesticated moggie that had got very very very lost (in the middle of Knoydart!)!

The people I have met (and who I believe could identify them with some certainty ….. they were Zoologists!) claim to have spotted them in the Angus Glens. I've been lead to believe that your best bet is rather than seeing them is to hear them. They mate in February/March and apparently they can be quite vocal around that time as they call for mates. Not heard them myself though.

More info here with some good links/references.

Toddy said:
Here you go, Kingussie, nice bit of the world and central for the Northern parts, and it's on a good train and bus network too :D

http://www.highlandwildlifepark.org/wildcat.htm

Cheers,
Toddy

Well worth a visit, I lived in Scotland for 12 years off and on and only ever saw a wild cat the once. That once was on my first foray north of the boarder and took place at dusk on Colonsay needless to say I was'nt particularly looking to see a wild cat I just turned round and there it was.... then it was'nt if you know what I mean?.
Cheers Tim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE