Wild Stoves: woodgas stove review (YT vid)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DS1150

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2010
London
After deliberating for a while on getting a woodgas stove, I decided to go with the UK company Wild Stoves and got their small backpacking woodgas stove. I love the thing. It's any excuse for a fire at the moment. Here's vid I've just put together if you're not too familiar with the stove or the woodgas idea.

[video=youtube;c8BWYiuHoJ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8BWYiuHoJ0&list=UUEv7 G4B6u0kGyE14OyELt1A&index=1&fe ature=plcp[/video]

Duncan

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Thanks very much for that review. It looks a little bigger than the Bushbuddy.

If you fill it with big bits of wood after getting it going and don't then top it up, how long would you say it will stay alight for? I mean so you can just drop bits of wood in to get it going again.

DS1150

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2010
London
Your pots still do get sooty when used. I think that's common with all wood burning stoves.

It is pricey compared to an Ikea hobo and in no way is it 15 times better than the the Ikea one so pound for pound you can't go wrong with the iconic Ikea hobo for £3, or evenbetter for free if you take one from your kitchen.

I'm sure that it would burn happily away for 10 mins + (not that I've tried to it it...just an estimated guess) with some bigger bits of wood in there and would then be easily brought back to a good flame in seconds.

I'd love to try a Bushcooker or Bushbuddy alongside it to see if it compares favourably.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I used to have a bushcooker wood/gas stove but found it to feel a bit flimsy , so always carried it inside a pot . How strong does this one feel? would you carry it in your pack without fear of being crushed ?

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Great review matey, I have never seen anything like this before either!!!
It is a bit pricey but it looks very very efficient and solid, the build quality also looks spot on!!
Im quite liking the idea of a wood burning stove, but have been looking at the Honey, do yu have any idea how the woodgas would compare to the honey or is it impossible to compare cause they are completely different??
As a noob all I see is, wood, fire, burn, heat, brew!!! lol
Cheers
Steve

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Can across this when looking for a rocket stove for 'family camping'.

Tempting for a gear-nut but it has a gear-nut price tag as well.

Unfortunately I'm a gear-nut... even so, dang £45+ :empty: Steepidty-steep-steep. Might be time for a paint can bushbuddy.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... I'm sure that it would burn happily away for 10 mins + (not that I've tried to it it...just an estimated guess) with some bigger bits of wood in there and would then be easily brought back to a good flame in seconds.

I'd love to try a Bushcooker or Bushbuddy alongside it to see if it compares favourably.

We might be able to do that if you can get up to somewhere like Rough Close or North Wood sometime, but having said that there are quite a few other Bushbuddy and Bushcooker owners on the forum. If it's loaded right my Bushbuddy will go for at least half an hour and still relight, but it isn't putting out much heat most of that time. Just enough to keep a meal or a drink hot really. There looks to be much more air coming from the bottom on the Wild Stove than on the Bushbuddy. The pots still get sooty with the Bushbuddy.

DS1150

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2010
London
I'll have a go next weekend at loading it up and seeing how long it will go for and post another video.

Jacko1066: I would think that the Honey stove would be similar to the Ikea hobo as they are basically a can with a fire in it and not the same concept as the woodgas varieties. With this in mind I would think that the woodgas stoves, based on my experience with my Wild Stoves version but I guess the Bush... stoves would be similar, will be more economical at producing heat, produce more heat, produce less smoke and are less faffy to use.

Salad: it's robust to just put in your pack but I would try and keep it wrapped up and inside a pot for peace of mind.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
You know, some of these woodgas stoves don't look too far off a stainless steel thermos flask, double walled mug or small wine bucket with a few holes in em.
Anyone tried doing it with one? I know you can make them from tin cans but they are flimsy looking things.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
anyone used wood-pellets in these things?

Just found a vid by Wild Stoves of exactly that, some kinda kitty litter wood pellets burning for 90 mins on one fill? Seems like a great little piece of kit.

[video=youtube;vWh21tjAe9g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWh21tjAe9g[/video]

Great initial vid review by the way :D

Si

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I've tried wood pellets on mine, they are a swine to get going, but once they do, it does go for ages. I used smart cat litter from asda £2.20 for 10kg. Tbh find that if I use it like a traditional hobo stove (start fire at base and build up) its better as you can add more fuel. Smaller pieces ie broken twigs burn hotter, then for a simmer put in larger pieces.
I tried mine with a fan, and boy, does that make a difference.
Just awaiting delivery of some thermoelectric generators so I can have electric power without batteries.

d4b78092-4f8b-bb45.jpg

d4b78092-4fbc-9afb.jpg

d4b78092-4fd6-8ae2.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I've tried wood pellets on mine, they are a swine to get going, but once they do, it does go for ages. I used smart cat litter from asda £2.20 for 10kg. Tbh find that if I use it like a traditional hobo stove (start fire at base and build up) its better as you can add more fuel. Smaller pieces ie broken twigs burn hotter, then for a simmer put in larger pieces.
I tried mine with a fan, and boy, does that make a difference.
Just awaiting delivery of some thermoelectric generators so I can have electric power without batteries.

d4b78092-4f8b-bb45.jpg

d4b78092-4fbc-9afb.jpg

d4b78092-4fd6-8ae2.jpg

Is this the stove being sold on ebay? If so how do you get on with it? Cheers Ed

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
No this is my stove, I've seen a few since on eBay very similar. The stove is great, but you have to run it like a traditional stove. Light tinder at base and build up, not as good when used as a true gasifier, unless you use a fan, then its a real animal.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90404

This link to my original thread has more pictures and videos.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE