wild soap help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

reddy

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
Lancashire
I've read alot about saponin plants used as bushcraft soap substitutes, so I've finally got round to getting a bit of soapwort root to play with. Does anyone have an idea of rough measurement ratios (ie chopped root to water?). What works best, boiling or cold? I'd love to hear other peoples tips and experiences:)

Also a quickie- is horse chestnut really that stinky as a soap? What does it smell like?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I've read alot about saponin plants used as bushcraft soap substitutes, so I've finally got round to getting a bit of soapwort root to play with. Does anyone have an idea of rough measurement ratios (ie chopped root to water?). What works best, boiling or cold? I'd love to hear other peoples tips and experiences:)

Also a quickie- is horse chestnut really that stinky as a soap? What does it smell like?

According to Lesley Bremness in the complete book of herbs, to make shampoo, you use 2 tbsp of finely chopped root to 1 pint of boiling water. This will be ok for a mild soap too...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE