Buffalo and cow horns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
A quick queery for those as know.
I recently got some nice cow horn and a Buffalo Horn tips - 10 inch, from Highland Horn. From what i can tell its very good value and they did get it to me very quickly.

However it doesnt half stink, ive given it all a good scrub and the buffalo particularly smells evil!

So my questions;
Should it smell?
Should i care or just cut it up as the outside will be lost with shaping.
As i understand horn (opposed to antler) can be boiled and moulded does this change the colour, and is Buffalo a good thing to be using for knife handles anyhow? (as well as other things)

For the Cow horn can i file away the damaged and rough bits to make it smooth or do i sand the whole thing down to the smooth under layers? (not sure what im doing with this yet).

Answers very much appreciated - its for a Damascus Sgian Dubh wedding pressend to a friend and really need to get started (but live in a flat so boiling stinky stuff may be a bad idea).

Thanks!!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
As with rams horn I would argue it is the furls/inclusions (growth rings?) that are the most desirable aspect of such material so remove material from beneath and polish surface. The challenge is to find a cut from the horn that will permit facing off the material so it sits flush with knife tang.

AW-2DR.jpg

All horn and antler smells really 'interesting' when worked!

Cheers

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Cheers for the response and very nice work.
What i mean is that it smells bad before working.
I know with reindeer and fallow that when fileing (or heaven forbid using a power tool) it has a wierd kinda melted bree smell?!?! but this is not being worked yet.

Ah well i think i will just hack it up and see whats its like then!

:eek:)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I know this is a blast from the past but I was using my cordless lecky planer today and I remembered I had some buffalo horn.
Kind of wondered about a way of flattening it off for fitting onto a knife blank and I hate sanding. Its slow and stinks.

Anyway, lecky planers work a treat on Buffalo horn. Don't go daft and take a huge cut and don't hold the horn in your hand, thats just stupid.
Just comes out of the planer in thin flakes and leaves a fairly good finish.

Looks to be good to getting the handle scales flat, then might have to shape the rest with a rasp and sandpaper but it certainly lessens the amount of sanding needed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE