Wild place

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I'm not long back from the west coast with my good lady celebrating my 40th i(n a teepee on Mull), when I remembered that I had a wild camp fishing trip coming up. A loch with no significant roads anywhere near it, (boat or by foot) as wild as you would want, miles and miles from anywhere, where you would have to be totally self reliant, with no easy route out if it went pear shaped in one of the bleakest, wettest most beautifull part of Scotland. It sounded good to me! And what a choice did I have...go to the moot or go to a wild place? ;) Enjoy.

My camp...
Aug08laidontrip002.jpg

If anyone is interested the tent is a US issue marines combat tent, it's quite heavy to carry but it's one of the most robust and storm proof tents I've ever used and believe me the wind and the rain on this trip was exceptional for Aug. A snug and cosy little tent it is. Well worth the effort to get it on ebay if you can. The red bag on the right is my emergency pack-blizzard bag, rocket flares, smoke flare and air marker panel and strobe, essential in such a location.
Aug08laidontrip016.jpg

The weather when it was bad...
Aug08laidontrip049.jpg

When it was good
Aug08laidontrip001.jpg

Wild caught lunch...caught on the fly most trout were no bigger than the length of your hand. They were easily caught and one could easily subsist on this kind of fishing to suppliment rations.
Aug08laidontrip026.jpg

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Where abouts was it?

I go to some of the most wild areas in scotland, and don't carry any flares. I wouldn't quite agree they are essential.

Gailainne

Life Member
Thats a big chunk of water, with some significant hills in the distance, but I have no idea where, West Coast somewhere :D is my best guess, the moody picture is the one I like most, significant chop on the water :D and some serious rain clouds up above.

I'm taking as guess at rainbows ? when we were kids my Father used to take us fishing to some out of the way places for rainbows, great fun.

BTW the Moot got pretty wild at times, alcohol induced mainly :rolleyes: Great time tho.

I was up in Mull the week before the Moot, fantastic weather till the Wednesday, the day I had booked an 8 hr whale watching cruise :rolleyes: had a great time tho saw a pod of bottlenose dolphins as well as a basking shark (between the rain).

If you and Andy organise another weekend I'd appreciate a heads up, it would be good to meet up with you again, and chew the fat.

Regards

Stephen

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
I do like the look of that tent, got a link for supplier ?

I was thinking of hoping on the train to corrour and do some walking but not much trees up there for hammock so a sturdy tent like that be ideal if it is not to heavy.

Stoo.

It is a heavy tent, but like I say very very durable and comes with repair kit, alloy easton pegs and poles. It's around the 4kg weight without the repair kit. You get the green ones on ebay regularly, however the cammo ones are the latest issue ones and these are quite rare, expect to pay higher for it. If you want lighter how about the new individual combat shelter? Very light and weather proof?

http://military.eurekatents.com/tents/combat.html
http://www.gr8gear.com/catalog/Tents/Eureka-US-Marine-Corps-Combat-Tent-Used/

Individual combat shelter

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Hunting-shooting/Other/auction-163043501.htm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE