wild oysters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Owen Bush

Dec 6, 2006
welling Kent
I was walking along the beach somewhere near whitstable and have picked up a dozen or so wild oysters from the chalk rock pools where they are happily growing wild . they are plump and healthy and smell good . whats the best way to treat them before eating or cooking ?
how do I find out if they are good to eat from this area ?
I am saving the oyster shells for our next smelt!!
All the best Owen

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Make sure you leave them in fresh wqater for at least 24 hrs. I picked a load last year by me nr herne bay and needless to say the recipients of my gaterings had green apple splatters for a long time, I actually thought I had killed my 72 yr old dad. Also it might be worth while checking on the net as I believe they had some sort of disease in the oysters around whitstable this year. could be wrong but always good to check. Another thing too keep an eye on is at certain times of the year shell fish contain toxins that are pretty harsh on the stomache. Enjoy

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I missed out on a wild one the other day, im tempted to get down the fishmonger and see if theres the farmed ones down there soon as i've saved up!

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ask locals about red tide and shell fish quality in the area.....

if you do have to eat them as said before flush them in fresh running water for 24-48 hours........

hope this helps.

chris..............................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE