Wild mushrooms kill ten and poison hundreds in Russia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maximus otter

Sep 14, 2003
UK
Just a friendly reminder to be careful:

"Wild mushrooms kill ten and poison hundreds in Russia

07/18/2005 12:32

The year 1992 was the most horrible period in the region, when over 400 mushroom-pickers were hospitalized, 44 of whom died

Epidemic of mushroom poisonings has started in the Voronezh region of Russia. Ten people, including one child, have died of poisonous mushrooms in the region in July, regional Surgeon General, Mikhail Chubirko, stated Monday. Fifty-eight residents of the Voronezh region suffered from eating poisonous mushrooms in summer. Thirty-two people are still staying at local hospitals with acute poisoning. The majority of patients are elderly people: they said that they did not even know what mushrooms exactly they had used for food, Itar-Tass reported.

Moreover, several doctors of the Voronezh regional hospital were hospitalized were food poisoning too: the doctors cooked and ate mushrooms during the weekend.

Regional medics call upon the local population not to collect mushrooms in the woods, if they have even slightest doubts about food peculiarities of the popular Russian snack."

http://english.pravda.ru/accidents/21/97/384/15817_mushrooms.html

maximus otter

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Got to have been Death Cap or Destroying angel.

Aren't those Ceps in the photo? Can't see you dying from those.

isotonicpies

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2005
Marts said:
Got to have been Death Cap or Destroying angel.

Aren't those Ceps in the photo? Can't see you dying from those.

Yeah, definately Ceps/Boletes, but be mindful that one of these is fatal - "Satan's/Devils Bolete" (Boletus Satanas).

link here:

http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Boletus_satanas.html

... includes the line ...

"Described as toxic in the literature, though some people in the San Francisco Bay Area claim that it can safely be eaten if thoroughly cooked."

However according to Michael Jordan's Encyclopedia of Fungi (my most trusted reference material) he describes them as 'FATAL - Even in small quantities'.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Whow, that is quite confusing to me. I have a mushroom book from which I took the believe that the mushrooms having a "sponge" under the cap are all safe eating.
The book states that there is no killing mushroom in that family only one or two which taste terrible but dont kill like the "Tylopilus felleus". The book doesnt have any pictures or comments of the Boletus Satanas.
Isnt it wirred that a mushroom book makes such a statement, for me the Boletus Satanas looks like having a "sponge" under the cap. Or, do I understand something wrong here?

thanks
Abbe

isotonicpies

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2005
Abbe,

Every mushroom book should have a disclaimer in the first few pages.

I'm no shroom expert (indeed there are far more knowledgeable people on this site) but I have some great reference books, I always assumed that the only fatal shrooms were a few of the amanitas (virosa, phalloides, pantherina etc etc), but Michael Jordan strongly states that this cep is fatal.

The small amount of mushroom knowledge is enough to tell me that there is no such thing as a hard and fast rule for mushroom identification.

Eg, one so called mushroom 'rule' states that a death cap (amanita phalloides) never grows in open field as it needs tree/shrub roots underneath to grow. What if, say, the farmer removed tree from the middle of that field in the last two years but left some of the root system. The tree footprint would no longer be visible after a year or so but the dead roots still underground. In this instance you may well find a death cap growing in the middle of an open grassy field!

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Yep. A Bolete that may kill

HERE

However on the plus side:

Boletes like Ceps are very common. Satanas is rare (I have never seen one) Also Satanas tends to be dark stemmed and light capped - Ceps are the reverse.

The clearest indicator to my mind though is the old fungi classic _

Ceps smell and taste great. Bolete Satanas smells and tastes horrible. If you find a cep-like mushroom that smells good you're pretty safe.
:)

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Marts said:
Yep. A Bolete that may kill

HERE

However on the plus side:

Boletes like Ceps are very common. Satanas is rare (I have never seen one) Also Satanas tends to be dark stemmed and light capped - Ceps are the reverse.

The clearest indicator to my mind though is the old fungi classic _

Ceps smell and taste greta. Bolete Satanas smells and tastes horrible. If you find a cep-like mushroom that smells good you're pretty safe.

Hi mate,
could you explain the last statement, i am not from england and dont know what do you mean with "cep"?

thanks
Abbe

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Sorry.

Boletus edulis also known as ceps or porcini.

HERE

This was the first bolete I was ever shown. Very common in UK in autumn and one of the most fantastically tasty mushrooms there is. Every year there is a fight on Wimbledon Common as the local deli's send mushroom STEALERS :( and the general public have to try and get hold of them before they are bagged up and sold back to us.
Ceps dry and keep really well too.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Marts said:
Sorry.

Boletus edulis also known as ceps or porcini.

HERE

This was the first bolete I was ever shown. Very common in UK in autumn and one of the most fantastically tasty mushrooms there is. Every year there is a fight on Wimbledon Common as the local deli's send mushroom STEALERS :( and the general public have to try and get hold of them before they are bagged up and sold back to us.
Ceps dry and keep really well too.

Are there more in that family deadly or only the Bolete Satana? For me it is quite shocking that the book didnt have a single notice on Mr. Satan. :eek:

cheers
Abbe

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
It's a big old family

HERE

Satanas is the only one labeled deadly, but a number are inedible and the following Boletes are considered suspect / poisonous:

Coniferarum
Erythropus
Flammans
Frostii
Illudens
Ineduli
legaliae
leonis
luridus
piedmontensis
rhodoxanthus
rubripes
sensibilis
speciosus
subluridellus
vermiculosus

:eek:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Interesting thread.

The other week I saw an 11 month old in Casualty whose mother had found him chewing a wild mushroom. He spat it out and had no symptoms. His capable mum brought the mushroom with him. Looking at a (rather slim) field guide it resembled a Boletes but I couldn't say which species. Certainly some boletes were labelled in the book as 'poisonous' but no more detail. I looked up Toxbase which said:

1. Poisoning with potentially lethal mushrooms in the UK is extremely rare.

2. Highly toxic types are not likely to be found in towns or cities.

3. Mushrooms which cause features within 6 hours of ingestion are unlikely to be seriously toxic.

4. Amanita phalloides is the most toxic UK species and is found in all areas with the possible exception of Sutherland and Wester Ross.

5. In the birchwoods of the north, the equally toxic Amanita virosa is found.

6. Symptoms of phalloides type poisoning do not usually start until 6 hours or more after ingestion.

7. Cortinarius species are becoming more frequent but only three cases of poisoning have been reported in Britain. Symptoms may not start till several days after ingestion.

8. Mushrooms found in gardens or on lawns are highly unlikely to be seriously toxic but may cause gastrointestinal upsets or be hallucinogenic. The species found in these areas include Psilocybe, Panaeolina, Panaeolus, Nolanea and Inocybe.

Anyway, I discussed the case with the hospital and given there is no specific treatment and the patient had no symptoms, we decided to just await events, advising Mum to contact us asap if any symptoms developed.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Thanks Marts, interesting info there but many of the fungi you mention are found only in the US
Of the European ones all of the ones on the list have red in them , either from spores on the stem, or the cap is red or they stain reddish when cut,

Would a sensible rule of thumb be to avoid any bolete that has red ?

Tant

Sep 27, 2010
NE USA
Thanks Marts, interesting info there but many of the fungi you mention are found only in the US
Of the European ones all of the ones on the list have red in them , either from spores on the stem, or the cap is red or they stain reddish when cut,

Tant

Tant

Many in the Eastern US do use this rule of thumb but you will miss some red-staining edible ones.

Actually the only sensible rule is to know intimately how to identify any toxic or deadly mushroom that "could" be mistaken for your target mushroom.

One big problem is that books may be of great use in the area where the book came from, but a book written in America or England may actually be misleading in another part of the world.

This very reason is why it is best to avoid common names such as "Ceps" and use Boletus edulus or Boletus reginius (aka King and Queen bolete in the US, probably "Cep" in Poland/Russia) and use instead the universal Latin name.

Especially in the US, but also in Europe and Russia the ice ages sometimes penetrated South like fingers on a hand. If you hold your hand out you will see spaces between each finger. Each of these cells isolated specific species long enough that in cases they changed genetically becoming a new species. Thus, though they might look like the same species in one area, they can no longer interbreed, and their chemistry may have changed, especially in the way of toxic chemicals. So while the Amanita caesarea of Europe is considered edible, I will not eat what is known as Amanita caesarea from the US, and suspect that genetically they will eventually be proven to be either mild to moderately different and therefore a different variety or significantly different and therefore a new species.

So it is possible that the Devil's bolete (Boletus satanus) which is eaten "in San Francisco" may be a relative to a similar "Devil's bolete" in Russia, but now is a new specie. If so, they may look, smell and taste alike, but the ones in San Francisco (USA) may lack the toxin bolesatine, whereas the ones in parts of Russia may have significant quantities and therefore may be toxic.

For instance in the NE America if one wants to collect Chanterelles (Cantherellus cibarious) one MUST know the Jack-o-Lantern mushroom (Omphalotus olearius, or O. illudens) which are toxic but to some look similar.

I remember a time at a gathering of a mushroom club (of people quite knowledgeable (enough so that the group ID'd and had the genetic work done to identify and name a new species that we found)) where a couple that had been in British Columbia, Canada had purchased some Chants from a roadside stand--they wanted to make sure they were edible. Several knowledgeable people looked in the bag, hefted a few and each said "yup....chants ....excellent," or something to that nature.

I asked for the bag and showed them what to look for especially the lack of true gills and emphasized that each one should be inspected--and low and behold, one of the mushrooms in the bag was Ompholatus illudens. To me illudens and Chants look very different, but to the casual observer (ignoring gill structure and looking only at the color and shape) they were orange, thus it was assumed they were safe.

A single illudens mixed in with a few cups of chants probably guaranteed at least a few hours of misery on the toilet, eat several and as a friend of mine who once mistook illudens for Chants, well, he ended up at hospital having his stomach pumped.

The recent epidemic of poisoning is a bit confusing from a forensic point of viw because so many were involved and yet there were few deaths. I did find one Russian reference about this "epidemic" to three deaths related to the "Death Cap" (Amanita phalloides) the most common cause of mushroom poisoning deaths world wide, relating to one family, but I'd suspect another mushroom is at play here also because of so many survivors.

The lethal dose of alpha-amanatin (the worst of the group) is only 0.1 milligrams per kilogram of body weight--it does not take a lot of mushrooms to deliver this, often accepted at about 20grams.

Often the victim is Asian (often Loatian/Cambodian/Vietnamese) for their culture is such that foraging is important to them. In SE Asia the "paddy straw mushroom" (cultivated on rice straw) Volvariella Volvacea is common. There are NO deadly Amanitas in SE Asia. Therefore to them the vulva or found at the base of many amanitas and Volvarias is "proof positive" that they are the paddy straw mushrooms. Yet especially in the Western US Volvariella species are rare where the look alike/similar A phalloides is common. Often it is a family of SE Asia lineage who picks and eats the Death Cap. Most American mushroomers will not eat any mushroom with a volva. (remnants at base where the cap separated from the base) Some mushroom collecting groups/societies have placed warnings in multiple Asian languages to warn people from Asia of the potential danger.

Phalloides poisoning result in no symptoms for 6-24 hours, then severe symptoms. At the hospital a doctor or nurse may ask: "Have you eaten anything odd?" But the answer is likely to be, "no" or "not today." Often these people's symptoms disappear, and they are released. Unfortunately the predominant toxin alpha amanatin (plus other lesser toxins) slowly destroys the liver and/or kidneys, and death occurs several to five days later. Since as little as 20 grams (probably only one small mushroom) can be fatal--so I assume that there is more than one mushroom involved in this "epidemic."

I cannot help but wonder if the problem was a Xerocomus badius (edible and often known as Boletus badius) or other Xerocomus which due to its slimy top can sometimes grow toxic mold (mould) turning an otherwise non-toxic one into a toxic one. I believe that in Europe and Russia some Xerocomus species are collected as a "less desirable" form of Cep. This scenario could explain why hundreds were taken ill, as the mushroom was edible and recognizable, but may have become toxic due to the mold.

In America A. phalloides used to be non-existant to rare in certain areas such as Long Island near New York City. But decades ago conifers saplings from nurseries in the US NW were sold and planted in that area. The conifers were associated (mycorhizzal, a synergistic relationship between the conifer and the fungus) with the saplings, as a result A. phalloides is showing up in places where they have never been seen.

It is unwise to use pictures in a book. It is much better to learn to ID gill structure, spore prints (lay a gilled mushroom on a white piece of paper, cover it with bowl and look at the color the next day) or other taxonomically stable parts of the fungus. Color and shape are generally not good features to use.

So know the enemy first--know how to ID any possible toxic or deadly mushroom that grows in that region. And do not use information from one region in another.

Doctors should save samples of vomitus in suspected cases to determine if Amanita species was involved by microscopic spore analysis (as in the case of witnessing a child or pet eating a mushroom) and there is a urine test that detects alpha-amanatin or up to about 48 hours. About 20 years ago there was a supportive volunteer group associated with the North American Mycological Association who received training in identifying Amanita spores in vomitus--they may or may not be active today. There are also genetic methods of detecting amanatin within vomitus.

As we say here in New England: "There are old mushroomers and there are bold mushroomers, but there are no old and bold mushroomers.

Btw, I'm not an expert but I have eaten 40+ distinct species and gotten ill only once. That was not due to a mushroom toxin it was due to eating about a pound of edible slimy topped definately edible mushrooms cooked many different ways, along with at least a pound of butter--that's not called poisoning, that's called stupidity...*lol*

An odd footnote for those with a curiosity about folk-medicine:

In olden days in England a remedy was candied rabbit stomach as people noted that rabbits seemed immune to A. phalloides. As it turns out rabbits in these areas do indeed secrete an enzyme that destroys amanatin though I do not believe that it has been identified and synthesized yet. I suppose it is possible that if someone had eaten enough candied rabbit stomach (before symptoms set in) it could have helped.

Sep 27, 2010
NE USA
Abbe,

Eg, one so called mushroom 'rule' states that a death cap (amanita phalloides) never grows in open field as it needs tree/shrub roots underneath to grow. What if, say, the farmer removed tree from the middle of that field in the last two years but left some of the root system. The tree footprint would no longer be visible after a year or so but the dead roots still underground. In this instance you may well find a death cap growing in the middle of an open grassy field!

Generally a fungus symbiotic with a tree cannot live long without the tree. Usually a "bloom" follows the death of the tree (as in having the tree cut down) the following season, and I have never seen a second "bloom," perhaps others here have. Once nearby a town cut down about a dozen of ancient Oaks, the following season there was a bloom of Hen-of-the-Woods (Grifola frondosa), and I kid you not, there was at least a thousand pounds or more, some a meter in diameter. I checked the following year and there were none. Yet once I found a Hen seemingly out of place at a local college growing amongst a bed of flowers--but a query found that an Oak had been removed the year before, along with its stump--it was delicious.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There is a lot of interesting information and sound advice in this thread. As a rule I find it preferable to miss out on the occasional edible if by doing so I avoid the risk of eating something poisonous. If you don't know what it is with absolute certainty, don't eat it.

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
There are NO deadly Amanitas in SE Asia. Therefore to them the vulva or found at the base of many amanitas and Volvarias is "proof positive" that they are the paddy straw mushrooms.

Amanita subjunquillea, also known as the East Asian death cap is a mushroom of the large genus Amanita, which occurs in East and Southeast Asia. Deadly poisonous, it is a member of section phalloideae and related to the death cap?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE