Wild flower identification help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Ok then wild flower fans. I came across this pretty little flower this morning and can't find it's name anywhere. Any ideas?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372771345.434319.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It looks like an orchid.
Look up British orchids and have a nosey through the photographs for a match.
Marsh maybe ? sorry, not much up on orchids.
Harvestman is though; give him a nudge if he doesn't see the thread :)

cheers,
M

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Looks like common spotted orchid, if the leaves have spots. With that colouration one of the marsh orchids is possible, but they have unspotted leaves usually.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
Have to disagree with that. Colour and petal shape look wrong to me, and it is very, very late for early purple to still be flowering.

given that the OP and myself are quite some distance north of yourself and that the tyne and wear region gets a proliferation of these from june onwards, wheras the rose flower key states that they bloom from may to june but that is a generic and sweeping timeframe that encompasses a wide geographical area that has varying daylight and temperature variants.
regards Jamie.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well said Jaime. :) You may well be right. I can only go on my own experience, of course. I also made the mistake of not looking up where the OP was located.

I've looked it up in my copy of Rose too, and I still think it is common spotted orchid, mainly based on the shape of the flower and the shape of the inflorescence generally. From the picture posted we can't see the spotted leaves, which would settle the question. If the spots are across the leaves then it is a common spotted orchid, if the spots are along the leaves then it is an early purple orchid.

I'm no orchid expert, so I'm quite happy to be wrong, if other pictures show it up subsequently as an early purple. I will have learned a little bit more.

Mike

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
Well said Jaime. :) You may well be right. I can only go on my own experience, of course. I also made the mistake of not looking up where the OP was located.

I've looked it up in my copy of Rose too, and I still think it is common spotted orchid, mainly based on the shape of the flower and the shape of the inflorescence generally. From the picture posted we can't see the spotted leaves, which would settle the question. If the spots are across the leaves then it is a common spotted orchid, if the spots are along the leaves then it is an early purple orchid.

I'm no orchid expert, so I'm quite happy to be wrong, if other pictures show it up subsequently as an early purple. I will have learned a little bit more.

Mike

sods law that it'll turn out to be a daisy :rolleyes:

Myosotis

Jun 9, 2013
Leicester
Just my two cents but it looks more like Heath-Spotted Orchid - Dactylorhiza maculata, but separating that from Common Spotted Orchid - D. fuchsii is never easy from a photo at that angle and resolution.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES

Mike

Whats this copy of rose then please?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE