Wild Camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Its illegal i am afraid.
Not quite 100% right

Under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 , wild camping is classed as Trespass

Trespass is a civil wrong, not a criminal offence. And whilst wild-camping is not permitted by law, it is not illegal.

Unless you fall foul of
Criminal Law Act 1977
Section 8
Trespassing with a weapon of offence
(1)A person who is on any premises as a trespasser, after having entered as such, is guilty of an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, he has with him on the premises any weapon of offence.
(2)In subsection (1) above “weapon of offence” means any article made or adapted for use for causing injury to or incapacitating a person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
As most of the above have said - it's a funny sort of law. Whilst it is illegal, it is one of those laws seldom enforced as long as you don't act like an idiot. Ensure you keep well away from members of the public (go off-track), make sure you are not visible from anyone's home, don't go round making massive fires, if you do have a knife, keep it under wraps when it's not being used, keep noise down, don't drawn attention to yourself, act responsibly.
If you do all thse things then 1/no one will know you're there anyway and 2/if seen no one will mind.
It's that simple.
We go wildcamping all the time. In fact we are going tomorrow night. And we have never had any trouble because we keep in mind all the above points. Enjoy yourself.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Yeah, we go all over the place. North Downs mainly. There's a nice big stretch of woodland to the north west of Ashford (forget what it's called - but if you look on a map you can't miss it. It stretches from Challock up to Chilham), go to some woods inbetween Barming and East Malling, St Margaret's Bay near Dover is a good one as well. God, just about everywhere. There are some nice little hidden spots down Cranbrook/Tenterden way. And near Frittenden.
But yes - mainly local woodland. Keep meaning to cross the border into Sussex and camp out near Camber castle (which is nearer Rye). If anyone's ever done that, tell us how it went.

headrox_inc

Apr 8, 2008
Birmingham
This sort of stuff really bugs me, goverments are telling people to got out into the woodlands and encurage people to keep the green in our lives but to use law to control what we do is really pathetic, we dont exaclly live in a free country do we. Then again though if you adear to bushcraft 'rules' by keeping you and the area in which you are traveling safe then i really dont see why it sould be deemed illigal to camp in woodland, really makes me want to itch my beard, I will say this though it will not stop me from setting up a tarp, tent or what ever. This for me is a lifestyle not just a hobby.
Rant over, sorry guys.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Ok, maybe it is not 100% illegal, but because the vast majority of land here is privately owned, its is very much frowned upon.

For some reason, some people think wild campers destroy the enviroment, which is why there are few rural campsites in the UK, the majority are large campsites which are basically like housing estates.

CRAZY FROG

Forager
Aug 9, 2007
essex
What's illegal about presuring an interest/way of life, which has been lost as a result of the so called legal systum .

headrox_inc

Apr 8, 2008
Birmingham
I totaly agree Crazy Frog, I think it would be better to just buy a nice area of woodland with a stream and pond and bring on the bushtukka, who's with me?

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
As long as you don't disturb people and clean up your campingground("leave only footprints"): why not?
Just set up your tent by sunset and move the morning after. Nobody will know you were there ;-)
Campfire attracks other people so that's not a good idea except if you're far away from them.

The law thinks that all people leave a mess(and probably most of the people do so), so that's why it's forbidden.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
This sort of stuff really bugs me, goverments are telling people to got out into the woodlands and encurage people to keep the green in our lives but to use law to control what we do is really pathetic, we dont exaclly live in a free country do we. Then again though if you adear to bushcraft 'rules' by keeping you and the area in which you are traveling safe then i really dont see why it sould be deemed illigal to camp in woodland, really makes me want to itch my beard, I will say this though it will not stop me from setting up a tarp, tent or what ever. This for me is a lifestyle not just a hobby.
Rant over, sorry guys.

If you do a search on this site, you will find a huge number of people, angry about the carp and litter they find on their ‘patch’ or whilst out for a bimble you will see why it is frowned on /not lawful.
My favourite walking spot is now like something from the film ‘28 days’, Someone has stolen a car, driven it into the woods and burnt it out. It’s sat there for nearly a year, as to get it out with a ‘wrecker’, would mean chopping down half the trees, just to get at it.
People who are interested in camping off the beaten track are ok, most would wild camp like responsible adults. The rest are litter-spewing up-chucking idiots of the first order who would destroy a pristine glade in half an hour.
I’m sort of glad that 99.9% of the population is discouraged from wild camping. There would not be an area of green within half an hour’s drive of every town, left unspoilt. I’ve seen a local green spot go from a haven to a ‘dumping ground’ for disposable barbeques, at the first sign of a bit of dry weather. Imagine if everyone had the right, just to pitch up, build a shelter, light a bonfire, and trample over field and glen. There would be nothing left.

In Sweden, most of the people have grown up with that right, but they have also been educated in their responsibility. Sadly, in the UK people are not often educated in the simple fact the responsibility and rights are two sides to the same coin. You cannot have one without the other.

“Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.” John F. Kennedy

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Tadpole - yeah I kind of see your point: by keeping it illegal it discourages people.
But I think that logic is misplaced. It's a bit like banning joyriders from driving - hardly going to stop them breaking the law. Likewise wild camping. Look, if someone is predisposed to be irresponsible and leave their litter lying around when it's illegal already, well...seems as though the law has already failed. By making it illegal it's just stopping the responsible people, which is not the problem anyway. Whether it's legal or illegal is not going to stop the idiots burnung big fires and leaving their litter lying around - by your own evidence they are already doing it!
But also, I think there are other reasons why people don't go camping out in the local woods - they're not interested in what they perceive will be a cold and uncomfortable night out in the dark. The majority of people don't even know that camping out is legally questionable in England, and so what stops them is not the legal position, but they just aren't interested. A grouped of lashed-up teenagers are not going to be bothered after a litre of two of Diamond White, and whether it's legal or not is irrelevant to them. You'll never stop them. All the law is doing is stopping the responsible.
So, I see your point, but I think it is flawed. I don't believe making wild camping illegal restricts the number of people who go into the countryside and litter it: people that irresponsible aren't bothered by the law in the first place. Even if it was to become legal there would still be a caveat against littering and damage, which is the main problem already. It's a silly law and should be made legal; after all, most people think it is already (In my experience. When I tell people that I am going camping and that technically it is illegal they are always surprised. Clearly legality is not what stops people wild camping - so why make it illegal?).

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mainly I feel because the land belongs to someone - often trees are a valuable farmed resource - selectively felled they provide a sustainable wildlife habitat, cash crop for the farmer, and are often also used for such things as rearing game birds.

On the farm I live on, people generally would not be welcome as fires would scare off the poults and present a threat to the trees - both of which are about the only sensible income the farm now receives. Even without fires, people absolutely do leave litter and mess along the foot paths - but at least its confined mess.

Now I have never experienced any problem with getting access to Woodland - just get to know farmers, offer some help (de-bitting and releasing, ditch clearing, vermin control - whatever), show some photos of wildlife, explain my interest, and ask to camp when they know you are responsible.

What I think is unreasonable is people who want the use of another persons land and livelihood and aren't prepared to offer anything in return. I wouldn't want someone camping in my garden without permission but I'm happy to have friends do it (its in a lovely spot). I'm sure farmers feel the same - act friendly, help them out and they will help out in return.

All take and no give does not feel like "the spirit of the campfire" to me

Red

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Tadpole - yeah I kind of see your point: by keeping it illegal it discourages people.
But I think that logic is misplaced. It's a bit like banning joyriders from driving - hardly going to stop them breaking the law. Likewise wild camping. Look, if someone is predisposed to be irresponsible and leave their litter lying around when it's illegal already, well...seems as though the law has already failed. By making it illegal it's just stopping the responsible people, which is not the problem anyway. Whether it's legal or illegal is not going to stop the idiots burnung big fires and leaving their litter lying around - by your own evidence they are already doing it!
But also, I think there are other reasons why people don't go camping out in the local woods - they're not interested in what they perceive will be a cold and uncomfortable night out in the dark. The majority of people don't even know that camping out is legally questionable in England, and so what stops them is not the legal position, but they just aren't interested. A grouped of lashed-up teenagers are not going to be bothered after a litre of two of Diamond White, and whether it's legal or not is irrelevant to them. You'll never stop them. All the law is doing is stopping the responsible.
So, I see your point, but I think it is flawed. I don't believe making wild camping illegal restricts the number of people who go into the countryside and litter it: people that irresponsible aren't bothered by the law in the first place. Even if it was to become legal there would still be a caveat against littering and damage, which is the main problem already. It's a silly law and should be made legal; after all, most people think it is already (In my experience. When I tell people that I am going camping and that technically it is illegal they are always surprised. Clearly legality is not what stops people wild camping - so why make it illegal?).

I know that is is already going on, despite the legality of the matter. However, I think that were it to be legal, there would be more “wannabe Bear Grylle, Ray Mears, and Lofty’s in training” having ago. A change in the law will allow, your basically ‘honest but clueless youths’ a licence to go practice in the woods and wild places (as wild as any part of the greenbelt can be,) and it is these, the ‘keen but dangerously clueless’ who will do the majority damage the countryside .
Their honesty/fear of being shot at by farmers is currently preventing them from having ago now. However were the law preventing them from camping, change, I’m sure the countryside will suffer. Maybe not the far flung places, but close to towns and cities, the local green space and wood land, will I’m convinced, resemble a not quite abandoned hobo camp.

Clearly legality is not what stops people wild camping - so why make it illegal?).
People drive when drunk, despite the fact it is illegal, should we change the law to allow it, just because the law is being ignored?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Dammit Red - do you ever say something that I am not forced to agree with?!
Yet another quitely spoken bit of reason!

That is a long winded way of saying - "I agree with Red"!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dammit Red - do you ever say something that I am not forced to agree with?!
Yet another quitely spoken bit of reason!

That is a long winded way of saying - "I agree with Red"!
:D

Two bearded old countrymen agree? Now theres a shock ;)

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE