Wild camping style site in Leicestershire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
Hello,

I've got a week long bushcraft course coming up in September, going with my girlfriend. While my girlfriend enjoys camping at festivals, her back can play up after a day or two. So we planned this weekend away for her to have her first Hammock camping experience. She has played about in the hammock when I have set it up in the woods, but never slept in one.

I'd recently spotted a local site which caters for wild camping and we decided to try it out.
http://gowildsurvival.com/
The advantages being its local to us, it has a long drop toilet and we can also collect wood and have a fire.

It was a very busy week and I must admit the packing was rushed. We also were a bit more disorganised as we both came directly after work. So turned up with both our cars to the site. So the setup for my other half was the DD frontline, 3x3 tarp and under blanket. I took my canvas swag from Outhaus. I took a stove but in the end we cooked everything on the fire.

I managed to get there first and nattered away with one of the owners. I had realised I had spotted this woodland online for sale last year and it was great that someone had bought it is using for the local bushcraft community. When my partner showed up we were showed to the site. Its a short walk and there are a few different routes to the site were were using. We had a clearing with a decorative firepit and simple log benches, which was surrounded by woodland. About 50M away was a long drop toilet. Quite simple but ideal for a spot of camping.

We got the fire going and put some spuds wrapped in foil next to it for dinner and setup the camp. I ended up next to the fire pit in the swag bag and the hammock was 10M away.

We slept well both nights and enjoyed keeping the fire going all day.

My girlfriend slept well in the hammock and now wants her own. I really enjoyed sleeping in the swag, I do like canvas and the out style feel. We also really enjoyed the site and will go back again soon.

Back now on the Sunday and realised I need to get everything cleaned and sorted, then packed up again for the wilderness gathering next weekend.

woodymellor

Jul 14, 2010
London
Hi,

Sounds like a successful trip. Do you think she's ready for the real thing?

I am moving nearby and was just checking this place out online. Looks great. I'm a bit confused about the fire pit though. I mean, are there a number of people camping and you have to share/take turns, or do they only book one group per fire pit per night?

Joe

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
Yep, 5 days on Arran coming up in hammocks, but we will take a backup of a 2 man tent just in case.

Good to see people close by, one of the reason I wanted to do a trip review is to point out the place to other local people. We had the firepit to ourselves, so I am not sure about the rules, but it is worth asking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE