Wild Camping Scotland By Motorbike

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I'm looking for wild camping sites where I can keep the motorcycle very close by my tent pitch (for ease of unloading\loading and security).

I know of and can find many places for car camping, rough tracks and security not being much of a problem.

With the motorbike, rough and gravel tracks are a no-no as the bike is very much road biased, and I get fed up falling over :p.

I checked out a little of Galloway Forest Park Glentrool area a few days back, but some of the access tracks were just too rough, I spoke with a park warden and he very helpfully guided me to a few spots where it would be OK to take the bike to (but not a car), he was very understanding of bike users, the Galloway Forest is great for wild camping but so far I have not found any idyllic areas for motorbike camping, I would need more time to explore the park further, for anyone who does not know it, it is huge.

If any of you care to share any suitable sites, preferably West of Scotland and near river, loch or sea then that would be great, a wee bit of fishing would not go amiss either.

Quiet and peaceful spots under the clouds and away from the crowds is bliss.

Please PM me if you prefer.

Thanks,

rorymax

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
It's a great place for wild camping, unfortunately for your requirements all of my best sites are at least a mile from the nearest road/track where we leave the car and hike in with our kit and most of those tracks are the type you mention where it is a single gravel covered lane for traffic with staggered passing points

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Rob,

I would need to recce the park more, I am sure there are areas that are suitable, just don't really have the time to check out such a big area.

On the Straiton road from Glentrool I spotted 2 locations that equaled a suitable spot within the park, neither the park site or the other sites I spotted endeared me to pitch there.

In the past I have not really taken account of motorcycle access to the many lochs, rivers and coastal areas (rough tracks not being a consideration when on foot or in 4 wheels).

There are lots of suitable and nice places I know that I could go to, but having been to them before is not as enticing as visiting and exploring new areas.

rorymax

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE