Wild Camping Ireland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spoonman

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2007
Loch Garman
Hey

I would like to know if anyone here could recommend a site or sites in Ireland where I could practice my bushcraft skills. I'd like somewhere close to Wexford but please mention anywhere you can think.

Cheers

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Hi Spoonman,

Just lurking but hope someone answers this for you.

I generally just head to Wicklow mountains, Dump the car in Eniskerry and walk to Djouce woods, and walk well in off any Wicklow Way marked trail.

Not great woodland though being mainly coniferous plantations !

Can anyone supliment the origional question with locations of decent ( publicly accessable ) deciduous or mixed woodland ? most seem to be just in botanic gadens etc.

Loz

spoonman

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2007
Loch Garman
Hey loz

I've heard of Djouce woods alright although I've never been there. There is a small coniferous plantation near me so I'd love somewhere with deciduous or mixed woodland, nice stream & isolation but I think I might have to compromise a bit. :D

BMFHL

Feb 9, 2007
Dublin
You can try Knocksink woods just outside Enniskerry, in the valley of the Dargle river.. Beautiful mature deciduous woodland. I go there when in need of a bit of forest downtime.

Le meas,
Billy.

spoonman

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2007
Loch Garman
BMFHL said:
You can try Knocksink woods just outside Enniskerry, in the valley of the Dargle river.. Beautiful mature deciduous woodland. I go there when in need of a bit of forest downtime.

Le meas,
Billy.

Yeah thanks Billy it looks promising alright (had a look after i googled it). I wonder if you were to keep out of the way could you camp and practice bushcraft skills in peace....prob should ask permission first though??but would they allow this?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Can I ask that someone clarifies the law for camping/ fires in Ireland for those of us who don't know?

I'm a Scot, our access laws are different, but I'm very conscious that the access laws in England and Wales are very tightly controlled and BcUK cannot be seen to condone or tolerate illegal activity. The knock on effect for those trying to get access makes it important that we keep things above board.

Thanks for your help with this.

Cheers,
Toddy

spoonman

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2007
Loch Garman
Toddy said:
BcUK cannot be seen to condone or tolerate illegal activity. The knock on effect for those trying to get access makes it important that we keep things above board.

I agree Toddy........from information I can get various travel guides and websites state that you're allowed to camp anywhere in the country ('wild camping') as long as there is no explicit sign. If you are camping on private property you ask the owners first !

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
spoonman said:
I agree Toddy........from information I can get various travel guides and websites state that you're allowed to camp anywhere in the country ('wild camping') as long as there is no explicit sign. If you are camping on private property you ask the owners first !

Almost all of "the country" is private property.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE