Wild camping in the UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
You could try Blackberry wood campsite - www.blackberrywood.com - been meaning to go for a while. Looks reasonable, nice setting and allows open fires:):campfire::)

Saw this thread when researching for a blog on wild camping regs etc - which this bushcraftuk is a great source for.

I've got two woodland campsites in Sussex - one of which, Beech Estate located in a 600 acre wood we get lots of bivy, tarp and hammock campers at.

Blackberry wood is nice site set on whaty I think is about two acres. Open fires etc.

Bit self serving but I think my Eco Camp Uk site at Beech Estate is as close as it gets to wild camping in England - we are allowed to camp in 20 acres of the 600 acre wood and as long as hammockers etc are sensible we let them 'hang out' in the trees away from the crowds. :)

Wild Camping in the UK

The ‘Holy Grail’ of nights spent in the outdoors and possibly the subject that has raised most questions in all my years of working in outdoor education and adventure training.

I realised you posted this some time ago Tim, but would be able to include some of your personal content on a blog about Wild Camping I am just updating please?
Cheers
Hugh
The blog is - http://www.ecocampuk.co.uk/2015/06/06/wild-camping/

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Hugh, As long as you link to the original and credit the author all's fine and thanks for asking. I see that you've done that already so goodjob

Jul 30, 2016
wales
No prob camping Snowdonia , have done it for years, Fifty at least.
Never had a problem. Manners and discretion go a long way.

TheInnateState

Aug 5, 2016
Manchester
Hey there, InnateState here.

I work as a Bushcraft Instructor in the North West, and since seeing my work two friends have been wanting me to take them wild camping in Pembrokeshire, and so long as i have some good woodlands areas, i'm more than happy, BUT...

Here's the thing, i don't know any area of pembrokshire well at all, so if any of you lovely folk would advise on a good woodland area that's nice and out of the way, maybe a full days walk from somewhere, ANY INFORMATION would be useful and very much appreciated!

THanks in advance.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footsteps.
TheInnateSTate

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thread turning bad guys, the bottom line is that if you want to go and camp on someone's land illegally because you feel it's your right then that's up to you, please do not encourage it on the forums, the comment from history about snowdon is fair enough, people camp there and there's an unofficial acceptance of this and we're all glad the park unofficially allow it, mowmow, err, no, while i agree that it's good not to draw attention to yourself, you've just basically represented the forums as people that don't like authority, regulations and spit on them....Seriously, that comment ends up representing all of us.

On the forums we support the legal and respectful way of doing things which is seek the landowners permission and ask, or go to places where it's known you can camp outside designated sites.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yorvik bushcraft

Oct 1, 2016
york
Thanks for the link, i am just getting back into Bushcraft and camping after a while out due to illness.
I am keen to find places to camp and get back into bushcraft.

Oct 18, 2015
wigan
Me n the Wife went out to a remote part of the lakes belonging partly to a farmer we know we forged deep into the woods and set up camp just a tarp and groundsheet, sleeping bags, dug a fire pit and protected the base with rocks, built a fire reflector and kept a small fire going to cook on. a warden happened to stumble upon us the next morning hoping to catch poachers that had been plaguing the area and taking pheasants, we had all but finished packing and was just enjoying a stay warm mug of coffee. He asked if we'd seen anybody poaching then eyed up our post camp, no littler, fire pit well doused, rocks cooled and hidden away no evidence of fire pit as the turf I had carefully cut had been placed back carefully leaving no evidence and all firewood collected had been strewn so as to look like deadfall, I had even sawn and chopped on an old plastic sheet to ensure we caught all shavings and chippings (used to assist starting the fire that night so no trace either) "you know what" he says "I bloody well wish more people where as careful as you guys... we wouldn't have had to ban folk from proper camping, then more folk could enjoy it" he stayed for a bit, pinched a brew and advised us we "shouldn't really" camp and told us about the problem and mess some people cause. It was nice chatting to a fair person who rather than make a stink assessed how we had conducted our little camp and realised we absolutely love and respect the wilderness. we wont frequent the same area not at least for a long time, but instead will look onto other areas that may possibly offer a good place to settle for an evening. I'm sure if more people gave more consideration and planning to ensuring they can return the site to how it was and leave no trace then less people would get excited about it and more places 'may' become available. Sadly I have found many examples of wild camping being a little "too wild" (beer cans wrappers and bottles) while out and about which just ruins it for everybody else.

Reactions: OrtesPL

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Being from Scotland this has never been an issue. I have one question. How is this "wild camping" (just "camping" up here :D ) enforced? And who by? Is it a ticket? Reported? If it's by wardens I assumed they have statutory powers bestowed upon them? I just don't see how something like this would be policed.

Cheers

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Wild camping = camping in 'real' nature
Camping = camping in a park or camp site
Correct?

Usually when people say 'wild camping' they mean camping without permission, not on a licensed campsite. So commonly out in the countryside, but the uk also has licensed campsites that are in the countryside.

The French say 'camping sauvage' and mean campsites without facilities. That might mean no toilets or water supplies but still licensed.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Meanings of words are always tricky. I'd go for:-

Stealth camping = camping without permission no matter where it is [can be done is some surprisingly urban locations].
Wild camping = can be with or without permission but just somewhere without any facilities and fair distance away from towns / cities.

Reactions: OrtesPL

shibafu

Jul 31, 2013
UK
Plus Glamping. Having a mobile phone, GPS, canned food is Glamping.

If just having a mobile phone and canned food is glamping, what do you call it when you have a 3-bedroom tent with carpeting throughout, a fridge and a microwave? :)

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I've not been on the forum for quite some years. Some of you may have attended those original meet's at the old sawmill & perhaps have experienced that gale! Sadly defunct as the buildings are now condemned & plus I don't live there any more.
I'm in the throws of sorting out a secluded permissive wild camping spot. Early days right now but may get there this summer. East Anglia & big sky being the venue. With clean water, a loo & a fire pit. All legal too.
To those who advocate sneaky beaky without permission visits, in all honesty this spoils the concept for others big time. In the past there were never any issues with allowing nightly wild or even stealth visits PROVIDING FOLK ASKED IN ADVANCE! & paid their dues in the honesty pot. For those who did this in the right & proper fashion then had access to a fabulous piece of woodland, a proper loo & fresh clean water. So don't mess it up for others please.

Reactions: Dark Horse Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE