Wild camping in the French Alps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 9, 2007
UK
Hi All,

My first proper post :eek:

My lucky, lucky sister and her other half have just taken over a ski chalet in Chatel, France (south of lake Geneva, just on the border). Now, a friend and I are visiting next week for a bit of mountain biking, hiking, etc. and we're going to take our hammocks for a couple of nights out on the mountains (below the tree line obviously) and I was wondering; does anyone know what the French legal line is on wild camping?

We're both into the leave-no-trace, late camp, early start, etc. but should I worry about the gendarms or being woken by a local?

Cheers,

RikS

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Not sure if it's a National Park or anything but you will find plenty of goats etc. I was on the other side near Avoriaz/Morizne MTbing last july. Watch out for 'Gaurdien' sheepdogs, they will bite/attack you if you approach a flock.

Nick

Oct 9, 2007
UK
Thanks Nick,

Just had a quick look on google images for those wonderful sheepdogs. Look great but you're right, wouldn't want to mess!

RikS

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
If you go up to the Super morzine lift, starting at the 'Goat Village' then all the tows up then descend the GR down you can see the flocks and dogs in the Alp/pasture there, still 'Transhumance'. Actually in Swiss land. Enjoy the MTBing but Scotland, Dolomites and Pyrenees have longer routes,

Nick

Oct 9, 2007
UK
Just emailed my sister about the Super morzine lift & 'Goat Village' (I like the name!). I haven't been to that part of the world yet so looking forward to what I'll find. I believe their place is just on the french side of the border so I guess / hope I'll be tramping across borders as much as poss - just because I can!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE