Wild Camping in Kent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Next weekend we're going camping. Live in Kent and been to quite a few places (mostly on the North Downs). We only do wild camping. Prefer to have a fire to cook and because...well, because it looks good and is atmospheric.
So, can anyone recommend some good spots in Kent (UK) for a bit of wild camping?
Cheers.
If you're interested then I can happily suggest one or two nice little hidden spots.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Good luck with that! I'd be interested to hear of any places you know of because to be honest I can't think of any where around here where you wouldn't be greeted with a blank look or suspicion.

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
Not too sure about out in the wilds of Kent but around this way (think M25 area) there are virtually no wild spots to camp, and those that are about are a closely guarded secret .. so closely guarded in fact that I don't know them!

As COTW said, blank looks and suspicion are the order of the day for wild camping in these parts as there is hardly anywhere that isn't close to a well used footpath or road.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Twoflower/COTW - well you chaps haven't been looking hard enough then!
I'll grant you that it's quite a densely populated area, but it doesn't take too much looking to find places.
Things to keep in mind - as you say: footpaths. Well, head off them then! You go up the North Downs and yes, there are footpaths, but people stick to them. So make sure you go off them. Come early evening and no one uses them. Don't get me wrong, it's not a part of the country where loads of you can make a massive camp. Walk in and walk out.
We found some nice woods outside Ashford. Near the village of Challock. I must say, I believe it's not legal to camp there (but it isn't anywhere in England). Keep off the paths and there's loads of woods. More than enough to hide yourself in. We even saw wild deer late at night, pacing around our camp. We had a small fire, great view out over the fields and the Stour valley. Marvellous.
I admit that our Scottish friends have it easier, but all you have to be is cunning and clever in your choice of site.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Aaahhh.... I get you. This isn't necessarily camping with permission, no? More like subtle guerilla wild camping.

I'm sadly too wussy for that - plenty of places I 'could' think of then, but none I'd want to enter without that all important permission to be there. Blame my boringly rigid upbringing, but I'd hate to be responsible for spoiling access for others by doing something that has potential to really PO the locals (and I'm not necessarily suggesting that you are, but it does have to be said).

This is just an example, but unfortunately the last pair of machete clutching middle aged, supposedly adult male cammo clad* numpties (I can't being myself to call them fellow bushcrafters although I'm sure they both believed that they were) who entered one of our local woods did not leave it in a good state, digging large holes, hacking at young trees and setting fires all around the area they were camping in. So my opinion is great, if you can be discreet, will treat the land and its resources well, and then leave no trace you were ever there afterwards, why not. After all, if you're that good I'll never even notice. :)

*It's a description based on actual experience, of course I know that not ALL middle aged cammo clad males are numpties - just these two.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
COTW- a fair point well made.
Rest assured, we certainly do take care and don't trash the woods (we take away everything we go in with. Don't make shelters (not needed this time of the year, and if the **** hits the fan and somethign bad happens...well, just walk to the nearest house - this is Kent, not the outer wilds). Keep fires small etc).
Oh, and we don't carry machetes either. Too dangerous and too risky. And not really needed for a single night out.
You're right to point out those things. People should act responsibly. If they did then maybe the right to camp anywhere in England and Wales would be forthcoming. Carry appropriate kit and don't act like a **** (useful piece of advice for any situation one may find oneself in).
I assure we are discreet and repectful of the environment we are in.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
I love the idea that there are people quietly and discreetly enjoying wild spaces (however small) and passing without notice into the dawn mist. It's how good bushcrafting should be.

As for the other two, they were finally ejected by the police and I can't say I'm sad about it.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
You know what? I used to camp out regularly in my local woods but didn't realise it was illegal. No one ever said anything to me about it and the few people I bumped into were friendly and not the least bit concerned.
We even had a copper stumble through the camp once looking for a stolen car which had been reported dumped. She didn't bat an eyelid at the fact we were camping and made no mention of the fact that we shouldn't be doing it.
It has occured to me that seeing as I didn't know about the law there's a good chance most other people don't know about it either.

I'm of the opinion that if you treat the land well, don't damage anything (sycamores don't count) and leave no trace then why not camp in the woods?

Having said that, now I know the law I personally won't do it without permission. I'd be too embarassed about getting a slap on the wrist :(

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Switch - no need to worry about getting a slapped wrist (as your own experiences prove). Technically, camping outside a campsite, or without permission, in England and Wales is illegal. However. It is a law seldom enforced. Unless you are acting like an idiot, causing damage, or are too obvious, you are highly unlikely to be moved on.
So, depsite the fact that it is illegal, don't let it put you (or anyone else!) off. But do remember to be careful and respectful (the fact that you use this forum suggests you are interested in doing things right). Don't go walkng around with a great big blade on display, try not to look too much like a deranged and dysfunctional war veteran and you can enjoy any bit of wild space you find quite contentedly without anyone getting involved.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Oh, and good to see a fellow Maidstone-dweller (I live in Maidstone too, although it doesn't seem to be showing my location. Ho hum).
Where did/do you go camping?

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the tresspass law in this country (the one that would be relevant if you were caught camping where you shouldn't) is only enforcable, ie you can only be prosecuted, if you do any damage .. but by then it's become vandalism too (and switch, sycamores do count, you hooligan).

I suppose when you bear that in mind then it puts a whole new perspective on things.

But ... would lighting a fire or burning wood in a stove be classed as damage?? I'm going to have a think about that.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Twoflower - That's very true. That's how ramblers get away with it.
Yes, the trespass law in England (and I say 'England' rather than Britain on purpose) is qute a funny one. When you see signs saying 'trespassers will be prosecuted'...well, that's rubbish. They're trying to scare you off. As Twoflower highlights, you can only be prosecuted for criminal damage. If you don't damage anything...well, you haven't broken a law! A fire, though, may constitute damage, especially from a zealous police officer. Wouldn't have thought a stove counts as damage though.
So, keep that in mind. If you are challenged (and we have NEVER been; but then we dig ourselves in deep. Metaphorically) then react politely, move on, and come back a bit later!

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Twoflower - That's very true. That's how ramblers get away with it.
Yes, the trespass law in England (and I say 'England' rather than Britain on purpose) is qute a funny one. When you see signs saying 'trespassers will be prosecuted'...well, that's rubbish. They're trying to scare you off. As Twoflower highlights, you can only be prosecuted for criminal damage. If you don't damage anything...well, you haven't broken a law! A fire, though, may constitute damage, especially from a zealous police officer. Wouldn't have thought a stove counts as damage though.
So, keep that in mind. If you are challenged (and we have NEVER been; but then we dig ourselves in deep. Metaphorically) then react politely, move on, and come back a bit later!

I've always been of the impression that the most anyone can do if you are found on private land without permission is ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave or are caught again, or are causing damage then you can be prosecuted.
Good question as to whether a fire constitutes damage though. I suppose if it's set up and cleared away properly and doesn't actually cause any damage them no. But I wouldn't want to be the one putting it to the test.

Durulz - Oaken woods mate, round the back of Barming. It joins Ditton Common too so there's quite a bit of mixed woodland going on. Alot of it is coppiced Forestry Commision land though, and they pretty much landmine all the paths and shoot anyone seen leaving the trail. And if they catch you with a fire they are allowed, by law, to smash your head into a fine paste with a cut-off bit of birch ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm not sure it is illegal to camp outside in England, it's not really on a par with dealing crack cocaine is it! :rolleyes:

BcUK doesn't condone camping and fire lighting without landowners permission though, so these sorts of discussions have to be posted on very carefully to avoid the big giant padlock of doom. To my mind, if you leave no trace, nobody will know you were there. If you don't damage anything and are responsible, even if somebody does find you, they will see you are respecting the area and may even let you be or at most politely ask you to move on. Bedding down in the middle of somebodys' garden and taking their potting shed down for firewood is of course another matter!

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Good luck with that! I'd be interested to hear of any places you know of because to be honest I can't think of any where around here where you wouldn't be greeted with a blank look or suspicion.

Just thought I'd add my twopenneth here. There's a list on here somewhere, sorry bit crap at inserting links, about campsites that allow fires. I live near maidstone myself so was looking at the kent sites and found a farm. I spoke to the farmer on the phone and he says he has pitches AND a wood that he allows camping in. He also allows fires and seemed a really nice chap.. Being the wuss that I am these days I only really wanna be somewhere that I am allowed, even though I disagree with how much land land is unaccessable for us to use.

I haven't checked it out yet but plan to this side of christmas so will let you know how I find the place.

Good luck with your search guys.........let me know of any great finds, pretty please!

Cheers Kim

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
top tip
wont give you specific points
but walk the pilgrims way and you can find some great places to sleep the night ;)

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
I too head for the woods on occasion, mainly in kent, Google earth is your friend (though my computer refuses to load it up), never had a problem with land owners or rangers, pitch up as the sun goes down, pack up as it comes back, i'll use a gas cooker most of the time but my hobo stove gets used if i'm far enough away from paths etc.
Not had an open fire since last Octobers trip to Norway, true i can make the fire site invisable when i leave but i'm not comfortable having a open fire on someone elses land.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE