wild camping in dartmoor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mad_man_moss

Apr 10, 2012
somerset
Sorry for all the Noob questions

Me and 2 work friends are looking to wild camp on dartmoor looking for a good location have checked the map and know we can camp in all purple shaded areas just wondering if anyone knows of any good spots ( looking to camp under tarps so needs to be trees around)?

What is the ruling on fires on dartmoor as i have contacted the forestry commision and they told me open fires are ok as long as off the ground, but then read on another forum this is wrong. can anyone confirm the rules?

many thanks

Dan

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Madmanmoss, firstly welcome to BCUK, now the hard bit , you probably spoke to the cleaner at the comission , as any fires on their managed land is a no no , as are any kind of fire on Dartmoor , along with several other rules , mostly common sense .
Which side of the moor were you thinking ? north bleaker and harder terrain weather etc, south softer and prettier ( just a biased opinion ) how far do you want to walk ? Next 3 of you want to hang , going to be tricky on most of Dartmoor , not many trees .

If you require , more info from a know it all ! Just ask as i can steer you in the right direction ( by PM ) Or i will forever hold my peace .

Atb Ivan...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Apologies Dan, you won't be able to PM , until you have registered 10 posts , i think it is , anyway sorry if i seemed a little rude , trying to avoid self promotion ! Seriously though once you have decided which bit , how long for , how far you want to walk etc etc , i am more than happy to help if i can .

See! I didn't even try and get them to my place ....

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Sorry for all the Noob questions

Me and 2 work friends are looking to wild camp on dartmoor looking for a good location have checked the map and know we can camp in all purple shaded areas just wondering if anyone knows of any good spots ( looking to camp under tarps so needs to be trees around)?

What is the ruling on fires on dartmoor as i have contacted the forestry commision and they told me open fires are ok as long as off the ground, but then read on another forum this is wrong. can anyone confirm the rules?

many thanks

Dan

just because you want to use a tarp it does not mean you need to have trees, you can use bivi pols (£15 a set of 2) or normal walking poles, just use a guy line to stop it falling over, have a practice in the garden or park first though....:)

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I like the woods along the river away from Spitchwick towards Holne.
Descent toilets and car park nearby as well.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
What sort of Bushcrafting is that? Add a folding trowel to the kit list. :D

The vital info is how far away is the nearest boozer?

Two miles to the pub, all uphill as well so helps to keep fit, he needs the car park to leave his car somewhere.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE