Wild bushcraft in New Forest?

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
http://www.go4awalk.com/ask/wildcamping2.php

I'm not going to advocate that you should, but I have done and will continue to wild camp. With a 'late to camp, early to rise, leave no trace' doctrine you'll be fine, however what you are proposing will probably warrant extreme caution - not only with the possibilities of being caught, but also with the chance that your amateur shelter turns into a deadfall trap.

See if anyone near you runs courses in this sort of thing.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
What do I think?
Don't ask :p
I think you should read around the subject as it has already been discussed.

BCUK's policy is that we do not condone illegal activities, and if you want somewhere to salve your concience about camping somewhere where you know you do not have permission, can I please suggest that this is not the place to do so. ;)

My personal opinion is that if you choose to camp where you have no permission that is up to you; but if you are going to do so, it would be smarter, and less damaging to other folk, if you just got on with it and kept quiet. Endless discussion, without the addition of any fresh facts, is not beneficial, particularly when so many people seem to feel the need to crow about how their own beliefs outweigh the law. (not happened here, but it often does in this kind of thread)

I have heard, but have been unable to confirm, that if you were to be caught by police in an area where you had no right to camp, and were found to be carrying a sheath knife, saying that you were out "bushcrafting" would not help you much. The logic running that since you have no permission to be cutting vegitation, or lighting fires, you do not have a good reason to be carrying the tools to do so. I am fully aware that the police usually have a great many more useful duties than stopping green clad ramblers, but on busy days we often see a police car up on the Ashridge National Trust Estate. I have also seen one of the canine unit's cars parked up there, presumably so the officer could give his dog a walk. Just something to bear in mind.

It might also be worth bearing in mind that there are a lot of bush skills that can be practiced without camping out, or chopping wood, or building shelters. It often seems that when people get interested in bushcraft the "exciting" stuff like building shelters, having fires, using tools and sleeping out eclipses all the other, more subtle, but widely useful skills.

no not really you need to stay in the perscribed campsites you maybe able to poncho here but its bedlam in the summer and closed in the winter. only a few have built BBQ units for fire use etc

as far as i know its not illegal to be in the forest at night ie a curfew etc

as i said i was born and brought up there so walking at night was part of it etc mainly to get to the pubs :D which wasnt a problem just getting back could be interestin :eek: :rolleyes: ... Happy days

ATB

Duncan

I found out that there are courses but I dont think I need a course I need a permission :) :/

I think there are very few people on here who know absolutely everything there is to know about Bushcraft, and so wouldn't benefit form a course of some sort or other. I know from my own experience, that I didn't realise how little I knew (and still know) until I went on a couple of good courses.
Anyway, it could be a good way of meeting people in the know about possibilities for permissions in your area.

has any of you thought of writting to the forest comission ??? those doing D&E are allowed why shouldn't some of use be

no i dont think you will fine DofE will be allowed to camp just anywhere they will be hiking from campsite to campsite etc (Dad has run a Scout group on the forest for 30yrs and they arent allowed ) though there is a big scout campsite in the forest its on there land

you can ask the FC the offices are in Lyndhurst
but there are over 8million visitors to the forest every year and the campsites also generate income so they like to keep it under control and limited

ATB

Duncan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was told that one reason permission is not given is that because in doing so the landowner/ management are in effect legally accepting liability should something untoward happen.
i.e. if they give you permission and a Beech tree drops a branch in the night, you could sue them for neglect; that kind of something untoward.

Not easy down your way, I'm afraid.

cheers,
Toddy

bushmansoton

Oct 18, 2009
Dartmoor
and yeah course could be a great experience but think of the costs they are like 80£ to 200£ I think it is quite a lot and also there is a great way to experience the wild life even while staying on a campsite but it is not for free and you have those people around you don't you agree that it is not thesame being alone in the woods and being on a campsite ? I am just getting more and more depressed with this info but yeah I have to agree with you on most of those things hmmm any recomendations for what can I do and where can I experience the total wilderness I know scotland is good place any other places ?

I was told that one reason permission is not given is that because in doing so the landowner/ management are in effect legally accepting liability should something untoward happen.
i.e. if they give you permission and a Beech tree drops a branch in the night, you could sue them for neglect; that kind of something untoward.

Not easy down your way, I'm afraid.

cheers,
Toddy

there is that, i do know that the FC do inspect the carparks and imedite area at least once a year for deadfall branches etc as they are liable for making you park in that area the rest of it you choose to go into :D (well they did whe ni did Work exp with them 20plus yrs ago :eek: )

mainly its to protect the small area from the millions of peeps that would use and abuse it

ATB

Duncan

just to clarify, the DofE have a number of wild sites in the forest, that are green field and only accessable on foot. They can not just camp anywhere. If i recall correctly there is 5 wild sites in the new forest for DofE expeds.

As for scouts, well, we have lots of sites all over the new forest, but like FGYT said they are privately owned and scouts can camp anywhere within them. Im pretty sure that the general joe public can not camp on site, but maybe its worth enquiring....

http://www.scouts-hants.org.uk/index.php?module=Pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=10&pid=1

Being a Dofe Assessor/Trainer and Scout leader i get access to all of the above, for as little as £1.25 a night :)

Before i became a scout leader, i used to camp at Achres Down near minstead, and they have a nice big simple campsite, with a smaller field by the side, where you can feel pretty secluded. Im pretty sure the owners wouldnt mind you sticking a tarp and hammock up..... the website is :http://www.explorethenewforest.co.uk/acres.html

Its right in the middle of the forest, and if you take an altar fire you can have fires....

I hope you find what your looking for..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE