Wild animals to be released in Scotland?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I'm not sure about this 8ft fence thing....over that sort of distance the fence could/would be breached by one or all of these larger breeds at some point....still here's hoping anyway! :eek:): Maybe we could run bushcraft courses up there and at the same time train the wolves and bears to use wirecutters.....and is the fence aimed at keeping them in or us unpaying visitors out?

Is a contraversial bear one that votes "berry" in a "nut" strong hold or visa-versa?

On a serious note, I'm all for the re-introduction of these things IF we have managed to not build all over their natural habbitat....no point releasing them just to watch them starve slowly to death because there's not enough resourses.....I think I said something similar in the "Naked Bushcraft" thread but about us humans.

It's a bit sad what they say in the article about the animal right mob maybe sticking their noses in coz the wolves would eat the deer. I'm almost 100% sure that everyone on this forum is an animal/nature lover but I can't understand what is to complain about... I can see an argument for animal testing, fox hunting etc (not going into details or expressing a like or dislike of anything here as it's not the place so please don't reply to this bit) but this is nature in it's most natural form....ok so the deer have a right to live....but hang on, so do the wolves and what right is it of ours to say which can live and which can't....nature does that in the old "survival of the fitest" and "Natural selection", and it all seems to work quite nicely thank you until humans get involved....if there are too many deer the wolves will eat more and have larger litters and if they eat too many then the wolve population drop....it's a balance thing! Ok, so that's avery simplistic explanation but you get the idea.

Wups....way off thread now....see ya! :p

jakunen

Native
Didn't they try something similar a few years ago with wolves on one of the Scottish islands?

IIRC after taking them back to the island for about the 10th time they gave up. The wolves didn't think the island was big enough or had enough game, so they kept swimming to the mainland...

Personaly I'd love to see them all back and roaming free.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Me too....and if what you said about them swimming is true then hey, they're doing their bit alright....we just need to leave them to get on with it!

They've been releasing wolves back into a few of the larger US National parks..Yellowstone etc and that seems to be working ok... Any US members what to tell us more...for or against?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE