Wild animals to be released in Scotland?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
Found this today in a newsgroup and was wondering if anyone can shed any light on it (true/false or any further info):

Heard on Radio 4 this morning. The (newish) owner of the Alladale (sp?)
Estate (north of Inverness) is proposing to (re)introduce bison, lynx,
bears and most controversially bears to the Scottish Highlands.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
gillmacca said:
Found this today in a newsgroup and was wondering if anyone can shed any light on it (true/false or any further info):

Heard on Radio 4 this morning. The (newish) owner of the Alladale (sp?)
Estate (north of Inverness) is proposing to (re)introduce bison, lynx,
bears and most controversially bears to the Scottish Highlands.

What's the difference between bears and controversial bears !! :eek:):

I guess you mean wolves?

Cheers,

Martin

P.s. it is true

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
"Guests, some of whom may arrive by helicopter from Inverness, will pay between �15,000 and �20,000 to rent Alladale Lodge for a week. Daytrippers will be offered conducted tours by rangers."

well doesnt looke like i will be visiting..

i'v wanted to see projects like this for a long time.. im really glad to see it.. thanks for the link! :biggthump

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
tomtom, as long as you are just walking i suspect you may be able to wander the area freely

camping may get you a prompt eviction but trespass laws in scotland allow you considerable freedom :)

Tant

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Tantalus said:
trespass laws in scotland allow you considerable freedom

an 8 foot electric fence doesnt.. who knows how they would work it.. i should imagen it would be hard for them to get insurance to let people walk around with nothing between them and the animals?

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
oops i missed that, just skimmed the article

lovely to see that someone would like to reintroduce these animals tho

personally I am delighted

dunno how big the enclosures will be if they plan to fence them in with 8' fences

Tant

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
I heard this one on the radio this morning, it just down the road from me.

A couple of nice Bothies there that I used to go to. :yikes:

Bears?? someone mentioned a Bearskin Parka?? anybody got any patterns for one?? :chill:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
dtalbot said:
Sounds good to me, why keep them penned up in one estate though?
David

David.. while most of us would like to see that two.. our excitement is largely because this is a BIG step in the right direction :biggthump

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Only 23000 acres? Not very big. More like a safari park than anything else. The stocking density would be so small that you'd never see any of the animals unless they fed them - in which case you're as well going to Longleat. IMO

George

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
The times ran an article on this last sunday, it mentioned that there was potential for a few of the major land owners (one who owned 85,000acres) all going into the scheme together. Would be fantastic to see wolves roaming the highlands. Also the Times mentioned that the animals would be allowed to hunt instead of being fed by keepers......

:eek:): :eek:): :eek:):

£15,000 is a lot though..........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE