Votes: 2 28.6%
  • skylark

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
The black bird is quite the most lovley sound to hear in the morning. while i did night shift last week a blackbird would start its morning chatter stamping out his ground bang on the dot at 5am every morning how do they know what time to get up :confused:
what is your favuorite early bird call

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I did not vote in the poll because I really don't know which is the best early call to me. I do know that my favourite birdsong in the world is that of the skylark. To here that huge song come from the tiny bird as he spirals slowly skywards on a lazy, hazy Summers afternoon is just the most beautiful thing.
I did once have a pigeon that insisted on "coo-coo-ing" from the TV aerial right outside my bedroom window every morning just as I was trying to get to sleep after night shifts. He tasted just fine.
As where I live at the moment is so well lit, there is a blackbird that insists on singing his heart out ALL night long. Dopey perisher obviously can't work out whether it's day or night so sings anyway. Lord knows when the thing sleeps! :lmao:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I haven't voted either because usually the only morning song I hear is from Seaguls, I can hear them right now,I am at work on a shipping jetty and as you can imagine not the prettiest sound to hear first thing in the morning!:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think they should all shut up and let me have a lie in! Failing that they need to learn to start the fire and put the coffee on. Idle b***dy loafers. What have they got to be so chirpy about. Get a job blackbirds :aargh4:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I cannot vote either....I love the sound of the blackbird singing, though its alarm call really winds me up, as at home they can go on and on while I am still trying to sleep. I love to hear skylarks too and try to spot them (usually a tiny dot in the sky as they protect their terretory) I do like the sound of the wood pigeon cooing, it reminds me of summer. I also love to go into the forest near me in may/june time, on an evening and listen to the weird sound of the nightjar. I love the sound that a cettis warbler makes, tiny bird but huge sound. I love to hear cuckoos, the sound of tawny owls hunting, song thrushes in full song, reed warblers calling for mates, starlings can be fun to listen to sometimes, swallows screeching as they fly low across the water and as they fly in formation, the sound of canadian geese flying in V formation, the green woodpecker as it yaffles, the house sparrows going into one outside the bedroom window.......
I could go on and on here, but best of all for me is the nightingale.....I once had the pleasure of waking up in a wood with one singing in the tree above me and I will never forget it, sample it here http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/n/nightingale/gallery.asp

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
You didn't include the Green Woodpecker. :rolleyes: That to me has the most distinctive alarm call of all our native birds,apart from the corvids.

I have memories of trying to grab a few minutes sleep in a 24 hour shift and having bludy blackbirds shouting their silly heads off at 4 in the morning.

I've forgiven them now though. :)

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
Dunno about the best, but certainly the earliest was a nightingale that woke me up at 3.00 am. For a small bird he certainly put out a fair few decibells

Thrym

Forager
Dec 20, 2006
Bristol, England
Wood pigeons to tend to get a tad anoying sometimes so its blackbird for me although to be honest i much prefer the sound of crows or buzzard

Jan 22, 2006
uk
maybe not early morning as such, but a nightingale across the way from my front door that almost had me in tears the other day as i was leaving the house - never happened before. i had to stop and listen for a while. wierd how natural sounds etc can affect you.

the little feller was just telling the world he was there. somehow it was otherworldly melancholic tho, yet uplifting.
the world is a good place to live.
(not gay or owt)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
We get loads of Ring-Necked Parakeets in our area - I love seeing them flying around all lurid and green.

It's also nice having 2 fingers shown to us humans who caged them and clipped their wings once.

Aside from their song, they like to hang upside down and generally act like fools. Very entertaining.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Nope, can't vote either....
Another night shift worker kept awake by chickens, turkeys, guinea fowl, peacock, pheasants etc etc.
Surely the best alarm call is......

Here's your cuppa tea dear!

ATB

Ogri the trog

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't get me started on pheasants and that weird gobbly partridge call!

I tend to smile in the season as the 12 bores crack "theres one won't be gobbing off at 6am again" :D

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE