Wide brimmed hat...your recomendations please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I'm another Tilly T3 guy. There's no fancy reason - my wife has one and it looks great on her, then I tried one on and like it. Then I discovered that they're apparently the bee's knees, so that made me fairly chuffed!

The cords to stop it flying off in the wind are useful, but you'd only want to wear it like that in the middle of nowhere, cos it does look a bit silly.

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
I've ordered a Barmah Bronco from Andrew at the Outdoorcode, and am looking forward to posing in it soon. Had to fight the desire for a croc tooth number a la Mick Dundee!

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
For me it is a Tilley LTM6 for sunny or showery weather (bought from the US as not available here) and for bad weather I'll second the drizabone hat!

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Tilley T5 for me although I would prefer it in Olive. They only do the lightweight in that colour :confused: but I do not like the lightweight material.

If you have the straps going behind your head it keep it on in all conditions. Managed to overturn my canoe on Saturday and retieved the canoe and got back in with my hat still firmly on my head.

Ravenn

Jan 13, 2005
Central, Ky,USA
Since wearing out my Viet Nam issue bush hat many years ago,I now rotate between a recent USGI issue replacement in O.D, or a Columbia Bora Bora bush hat. Winter finds me in a Wool Felt, crusher with a paracord nape cord and slide adjuster ( added by me). It's a fair rifle rest,and fire fanner

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
mine's the "original" model made by an american company..
http://www.ultimatehat.com/hats/
appears to be pretty similiar in design to the tilley, it floats,and will stay on your head in high wind with its simple but effective front and back cords.Also doesn't disrupt periferal vision in the way some short brimmed jungle/bush hats do. Good solid design and construction.

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Try out www.noggintops.com for a wide selection of wide brimmed hats. The Tilleys are good but ugly.....The akubras are handsome but expensive. This place sells both as well as many other brands.....Good Luck

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
I use an Ultimate Hat, owned it for years and it's still fine. It floats, stays on, folds up small. etc. Just that as my face has got fatter over the years.....the brim is looking smaller!!!

So, I got an Akubra Territory this year ready for my hols. It's got a huge brim on it (4 and a bit inches) and at first I felt like a bit of a berk in it........till I saw everyone elses red necks and bald spots, then I felt rather smug. It kept the sun of both of my chins too. Got it cheap on e-bay as they are quite expensive otherwise. Good hats they are, keep you dry in a downpour, get the right size and they stay on in strong winds too, they can also have a cord attached to them if you want to.

Got another hat on the way from Oz....my mate has found me a genuine Aussie Army slouch hat....£2.80 from a flea market. Should do nicely for the visits to the woods..............all I need to do now is practice my Colnel Bogey whistling.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I've often thought the Davy Crocket number, like those Russian fur jobs, would be pleasantly toasty at this time of year...........but just imagine the comments you'd get......

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Doc said:
I've often thought the Davy Crocket number, like those Russian fur jobs, would be pleasantly toasty at this time of year...........but just imagine the comments you'd get......

The Russian hats are great,sod the comments.I was offered a Sable hat,beautiful it was, for £5,unfortunately it was far too small. :(

Real fur can't be beaten for warmth.I am rapidly going off "modern" materials for clothes.I have already bought a pair of "non goretex" boots.Next in line is a ventile jacket.

Mallorey was right. :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE