Wicker fishing creel renovation

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
I've just acquired a wicker fishing creel , it's seen some action but is sound in its construction . The wicker is a bit faded and I wondered if there was a way of breathing a bit of life back into it ??? Any tips ??

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is the willow cracked ? or sound ? does it flex when gently pushed or does it stay firm ? and what would you like to do with the creel ?

M

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Willow seems in good condition, stays reasonable firm when pressed. I'd like to use it as a small tackle box.

028b81a4e8742fa12f18db283cd757d0.jpg

5c393b4fd75cb7c347bdbc8c80203a17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice creel :D

I think I would remove that metal hasp, carefully, and see about making or acquiring a leather set up for it.

Before fitting the leather though I'd brush the creel thoroughly (old nailbrush should do fine) and then scrub it down thoroughly with a rough damp cloth. Don't soak it at all, just really clean it. Let it dry someplace cold.
Then use one of the furniture restoring mixes.
One part white vinegar
One part linseed oil (some folks like olive, but it can go 'off')
One part real turpentine, or white spirits or the like.

Put the three into a jar and shake them really well. Wipe on with a clean cloth.
Don't put the cloth into the bin, either burn it or let it dry in the open air. The linseed oil is one that gives off heat as it dries, if you trap the heat, it can burst into flames.

The basket will be fine because the oil will dry down with lots of air and space around it.

The mix restores the wicker, and nourishes it a bit too :)

Failing that, wax furniture polish :D

M

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Interesting thread. Sounds like experienced information Toddy. I don't know the first thing about restoring wicker. The outside looks sun-bleached. Will this mixture return the golden brown colour or just preserve it as it is now?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It tones it down. It won't take it back to fresh worked willow, hazel or cane, but it will 'restore' a richness to the shade. With care, and repeated work, like old leather, the wood will absorb some of the restoration mix. Thing is though, we don't want to leave it sticky or tacky or even attractive to insects, so gently, and softly/softly. Give it time to be taken up, give it a good polish, keep it clean, best keep it out of the sun as much as is feasible, and it'll give many more years of good use….and all the while looking rather classy and mellow :)

Some folks just varnish them, but it's like those folks who made fake 'polished stone pendants' by varnishing wee pebbles, the sheen cracks and wears badly and it can look really scruffy in no time. I don't know why but varnished basketry seems to crack and split too. :dunno:

M

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Thanks for the info Toddy! Very much appreciated! I've got my grandad's old square seat box fishing creel up in the loft. I'm never going to use it but I don't want it rotting away either. It looks very similar in colour to the one in this thread and on the inside it still looks golden tan. Wasn't sure how to preserve it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It is possible to gently colour bleached willow. The only trick is really to keep it from looking patchy.
Either use something like shoe polish in the turps/white spirits/meths used to make the restoring mix, tiny amounts of shoe polish I mean or dissolve a bit of a child's wax crayon in the stuff too.
Woodworking stains do work, but they rarely match the original colour tone accurately. For some reason they seem to stain yellow, red or blackish.
Try it on a hidden bit first would be my advice.

To be honest, old ones just cleaned up and given a careful nourishing, look 'right' :)

I know someone who boiled up a load of willow bark and then soaked a scrubbed basket in the warm liquor for a while.
It darkened the faded willow really well, just very, very dark, iimmc. It didn't dry out as well as she hoped either, and ends that had been woven and crushed a bit too firmly cracked off later on.

I think you have to look at each basket and assess it before doing something like that to it though.

My first suggestions are tried and gently effective and won't damage the willow/hazel/cane, just refresh it.

Bound to be someone on the forum who deals with antique restorations, rather than just my practical basketry upkeep type knowledge. It'd be interesting to hear what they say.

M

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Toddy. I use turps/linseed oil or turps/beeswax mix quite a bit but never heard of using vinegar in the mix.

Does that just thin it a bit more or help in the cleaning process. I'm using walnut oil and beeswax which is a nice feeding mix.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't know why we use vinegar in the mix; it's just the 'standard' furnish restore trio. I know it works, and it does leave the baskets looking 'crisp' and fresh again, if not new/new. The cloth ends up filthy though (and it burns very well), so maybe it does lift ingrained dirt too.

Walnut oil and beeswax sounds lovely. I use real turpentine and beeswax; vinegar if the furniture is looking dowdy; and a few drops of essential oil in mine.

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just to add my tuppence worth to the excellent advice above; It's most definitely worth the extra few bob to use pure good quality turpentine in the mix, and not white spirit or any of the other turps substitutes, you can see the difference long after the job is done, not to mention smell it, and white spirit and the like is very harsh stuff on natural materials.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Is there any argument for replacing the latch mechanism with something fresh, perhaps brass?

If I were standing in a river, rod in one hand, I think that I'd fumble a lot, one-handed, with a strap & buckle arrangement.

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Hmmm good point about the catch , the hasp and staple has gone , decision not yet made as to how to replace it .
Thanks for the renovation advice , will be giving it a go sometime soon , will post pictures of progress and results .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
RV, the last one I saw that had been given a do-over had been fitted with a leather strap that fastened onto a huge Sam Browne stud. It looked very smart indeed.

M

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Toddy, I like that idea. I'd want to be able to open it, single-handed, without looking.
The wicker quality is all there and then some. This will look wonderful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE