Wich cord or rope for a firedrill ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Ok so a lot has been written about firedrills allready. But I can't seem to find wich kind of rope other people use toi string the bow.

This weekend I had a friend of mine over and he brought his kids. So I made a fireplace in the backgarden, got half a big pine tree (in three pieces) for wood and chopped and sawed away with the kids. (of course after carefull instruction and under supervision) They had a great time too....

When it became time to light the fire I thought showing them a firedrill might be nice... so off to the attick, took a piece of the camping broom for the dril and to pieces of wood for the hearthboard and the bearing block, traded the neighbors rabbit a carrot for some of its dried grass and off we went.

After we lit the fire that way, the kids off course wanted to try the drill, but every three attempts or so the string I used broke.... Trying another kind of string appeared to be too slippery and wouldn't spin the drill.

So the question is what type of string do other bushcrafters use ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good quality paracord usually :D

Willow bast works, so does nettle, lime is very good, did it using daffodil rope once :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Nelis,
I've had good service from cheap cord and seen Woodlore's own paracor fall apart on the first attempt.
To ease the strain on the cord I use this technique - tie a long loop of string on your bow, then turn a clove hitch around the spindle and take up the slack with equal number of turns each way around the spindle until it will run each way without binding on the central hitch. A bit like this.....
IMG_1276.jpg

Hope this helps

Ogri the trog

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
I have had good results using a 5mm(ish) leather rope that started life as a cheap lead for a terrier and is now used to wear knife round my neck(if that makes any sense). As such it's always on hand and easier than trying to knot a broken boot lace back into the boot!!

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
pull-cord used on lawn mowers/chainsaws and the like is really excellent stuff, it is far more abrasion resistant than paracord and nylon cord etc:, it's available from hire shops or garden machinery shops.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Ogri the trog,is that Elder in the picture.And does anyone have some Cattail stalks as I can't find any around my area,at the moment

FF,
Yes it is Elder, but its a hand-drill spindle just used to demonstrate the principle and not a working set. My bow-drill spindles are shorter and the cord would not sit so well for the photo, which I wanted to be clear.
Cattail does grow in UK, but if its not in your area, you might have to get used to using other things.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
OK So lots of new idea's. I will be trying to find some pull cord for a starter motor, and definatly will be giving leather a try....

Never would have tried leather myself as I would have thought this would break more easily. Also have to try orgi's system.... For me a completly new idea, but looks promising.

Thanks guys..

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi,Nelis I seem to remember I got my leather fire thongs from bison bushcraft have alook there.They are of a better quality leather than is the norm,much thicker than I could find anywhere else. Good luck and enjoy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE