why

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arjuna

Jan 6, 2007
amstelveen
can anbody tel me why bushcrafters use the same kind off gear ? what is so special off that is it a group thing or i use the thinks that i find practical example a bleu mess kit is always visible. the temtation to buy army goods is great but bc is bigger than that .wil somebody give me a answere

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The simple answer is that a few people buy, say, a certain billy can. Those few rave about it so another ten or so buy the same billy can. After a few uses, they also rave about it. After a while, why not buy what everybody else has already tried and tested for you? Yopu know you are getting good quality functional gear for a good price. Don't get me wrong, there is still a higr variety in kit, but if you see somebody else has a certain stove and you like the look of it, you'll ask questions and based on those answers you may go and buy the same thing.

On the other hand, if you wish to ignore others research and find out what works for you and what doesn't, there is no problem with that, I just hope you have a good disposable income!

:D

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Things get recommended and people try them out. If you're like me, you then find that the said item is not quite your cup of tea, you sell it in the members' classified and try the next recommended item. After about three iterations you find the bit of kit that suits you. :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm not sure they do?

Most have a stove - but some like Trangias (meths), some use hobo stoves (wood), Some MSR or optimus (any liquid fuel) some prefer gas (err gas)

Most wear jackets - some like ventile, some goretex, some wax cotton etc.

Most wear hats...leather, felt, even flat caps or watch caps.

Most use rucksacks...I could go on

So yes most people use carrying gear, cooking gear, clothes, stoves etc. These things are needed in living outdoors. The only think that generally I find similar is a wide brimmed hat (although I don't wear one myself), flat cap and proud of it.

Similar question would be why do all racing drivers dress similarly and drive similar looking cars...cos its sensible for the activity in hand

Red

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
i think this is partly a misinterpretation of what you read on the site.

if you read an article about magikelly's groupbuy hammocks you will think all of the members of BCUK have one or more. that is not the case, what happens is only the people that have one or want one wil react in the thread.

the meetup with the dutchies a while back was a great example i think. the first 3 people to arrive didnt have anything in common in their gear. not only different brands but different systems to sleep in for example.(minitent,bivvybag and hammock)

one of the few items most had and of the same brand was the ferrocerium rod,try out different brands and youll know why :)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Pretty much what everyone has said really. Because the gear or kit WORKS and is reliable. You wouldn't wear a flurorescent pink tutu and flip flops to go for a red deer watch across adder infested moorland would you? No you'd wear unobtrusive colours and a good pair of walking boots. Equally you wouldn't take your prized 'Charles and Di' wedding bone china plate to eat your dinner from in the woods. You'd take a set of robust army mess tins that are just about indestructable unless you really put your mind to destroying them.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'm with British Red on this one. Over time may people try all sorts of things and finally decide that one type is best for them. Others, like me, then look at the recommendations and decide which to go for. During the process many alternatives fall be the wayside, sometimes literally. This site is a bit of a 'WHICH?' for people interested in Bushcraft. It has certainly stopped me wasting lots of money on the wrong thing. Long may it continue that we all share our experiences.:rolleyes:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`d have to say I agree with everyone else on this. Some of the more common items, such as the laplander saw, GB axe and Zebra billies are also high impact and therefore the tried and tested usually shine through over time. Not saying that there`s anything wrong with other manufacturers products but it`s like anything else, you get what you pay for. I.e BMW or Proton ?? ( no offence to any Proton drivers ) When I started getting in to bushcraft I had a poor quality knife which fell apart after a couple of nights of making pot hangers and tarp pegs. Also my cheap garden centre pruning saw became loose and blunt causing me to nearly lose a thumb.
I suppose the popular items are so common because they are good quality but at the same time not necessarily the most expensive. You should remember though that different people want different things out of bushcrafting, some like buying the best and shiniest money can buy.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Although cheap isn't always a bad thing. Mora knives, for example, are excellent value for meoney, and check out the San Ren Mu knives that were in a group buy over on british blades. They were about 3 quid each which included postage costs, and they are excellent. Well worth the money.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I found when I first joined this site that I came to hear about a lot of good pieces of equipment that I'd just never seen in the shops.

Lots of people recommending the same bits and pieces is quite persuasive I guess, so I tried a few of them and found in most cases that I liked them too.

Their is no doubt I've spent more than I needed to, as in most cases, I already had things that more or less did the same sort of things anyway.

But what is certainly true is that I prefer some these things I have bought since joining more than much of my older run of the mill stuff.

In some cases that kit has indeed been the "Bushcraft uniform" stuff but some of it has also been quite unusual.

Some of the things I have seen on the site have also inspired me to make some of my own gear too.

In the end I have always believed that good quality lasts far longer than you remember the price.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I agree with Wayland, I also came onto this site and found stuff that I couldn't off line. I am very impressed with the recommendation's on here and I know that most people who rave about a certain knife or hammock know what they are talking about so I might go and have a look and possible buy the same thing. I did look at the Mora Knives which are very popular on here but instead I chose a Lapland Pukko which I'm very impressed with.

Most people tend to but similar things to everyone else as they are tried and tested by those who know what they are looking for, as for the group buys, people participate in them because it works out cheaper to but in bulk as a group than individually from a third party supplier.

As for clothing, I don't tend to buy army stuff, most of the surplus is made for men and as a curvy lady it simply dosen't fit as well. I do try to get stuff that will keep me warm and dry so I have a lovely coat that I have slept the night in and as for trousers I will double up on thin pairs of what ever I have and that keeps me warm also. For water proofs I have a very roomy purple poncho that I got from a local charity shop for a quid and It works wonderfully. I'm not much of a fashionista when it come to bushcrafting :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE