Why the fish-tail on a fish-tailed parka?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I dug out my US army fishtail parka, and noticed it has two little press studs to fold the fish tail up on the parks.
That got me wondering - what;s the point in the fish-tail, anyway? I guess there must be a point other than design. And what's the point in the press studs? Folding it up seems to make no difference to the function. it only raises it by a couple of inches, and only at the very back.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Such thoughts will get you noticed by shady government departments who frown upon this sort of subversive questioning. So just accept the fact that it is so, else you could find yourself as a permanant part of the concrete support scructure to a motorway flyover someplace.

You have been warned!

I had a mate who questioned whether the original ring pulls on coke cans needed to be changed to the current stays on the can type. I haven't seen him since 1983.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
On a proper fishtail parka, M51 (where the tail is much longer than on modern copies) the fish tail was long enough and had cords (front and back) to tie the fishtail to the top of your legs, helping to reduce cold drafts on your back ‘area’.
but you didn't hear it from me

Biker

DavidJT I think the nappy aspect is well documented, what Gotte the seditious is questioning is what's the point of the press studs to hold the little flaps up when not in nappy mode?

Me, I'm more than happy to not question it, I just accept the official party line of "Mummy knows best" and would never think to wonder why. I lack that sort of radical imagination.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Such thoughts will get you noticed by shady government departments who frown upon this sort of subversive questioning. So just accept the fact that it is so, else you could find yourself as a permanant part of the concrete support scructure to a motorway flyover someplace.

You have been warned!

I had a mate who questioned whether the original ring pulls on coke cans needed to be changed to the current stays on the can type. I haven't seen him since 1983.

I think thats the best reply I've ever read on here :D

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I'd send you a telegram congratulating you on your award, Biker, but they don't allow that sort of thing from Guantanamo Bay. Well, they do, but only after you've signed your confession.

forestwalker

The old Swedish uniforms (M58 and M59) had what was called the "beaver-tail", an hourglas shaped piece of fabric that could be used in that manner as well. Mostly it came loose from the retainer inside and hung down, making you look silly. Supposedly it was popular with airborne troops (less drafty) and snipers (the jacket staid in place when crawling backwards.

On the Inuit parkas the fishtail was a seat pad, or so I am given to understand.

But Biker, it is well known that the reason the US Army had for the fishtail was %&€#&%€ No Carrier

Biker

I'd send you a telegram congratulating you on your award, Biker, but they don't allow that sort of thing from Guantanamo Bay. Well, they do, but only after you've signed your confession.

See? I told ya didnt I? Post on a public forum something that questions something so accepted in society and look where you end up. Sorry to read about your current residence. Just sign the confession and you'll be home before Christmas 2015. Oh and if some burly uniformed bloke offers you waterboarding, don't look out at the lovely blue ocean and think they're offering free surfing lessons. :lmao:

I'm glad there were no waterworks....

Clever. I had to read that three times before the penny dropped. Very subtle.

But Biker, it is well known that the reason the US Army had for the fishtail was %&€#&%€ No Carrier

Nope, didn't get what you're saying there. "%&€#&%€ No Carrier" What does that mean?

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
My, that waterboarding was refreshing - as was the electro muscle therapy and the extended naked yoga with the hood. I am a good citizen now, and regret any question I may have had concerning the beneficent leadership and its design of military, er peace-keeping clothing. And as for the extra press stud on my Austrian army winter hat, I imagine it's there for a good reason and if I can't work out why, then that's all right by them, er me, er everyone.

I've heard I'm off on holiday now - an extended flight, they say. I hope it's somewhere orange is in fashion.

Last edited:

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I am an asset to society. I am an asset to society. I am an asset to society. Repeat till fade or they stop shipping family members to the gulag....

Last edited:

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
You see how easily your words can be used against you? I mean "repeat till fade or until they stop shipping family members to the Gulag..."
Actually, though, they could take my uncle. He could do with a bit of re-education.

And yes, I was the one who ate the Haribo. I see now how it upset Big Brother and wish only to be forgiven. I also ate the after eights - such selfishness, and so detrimental to the greater good. I thought I was bigger than the whole, and lost my way. Forgive me, brothers. I shall labour on the great leader's projects until I am cleansed of my decadence. Or until they finish making the docu-soap about it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE