Why do cars always break down on a Friday?

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I was really looking forward to going on a hike tomorrow, so you can imagine my dismay when I got home this evening I detected a distinct smell of burning brake disc and found my rear left wheel to be very hot. Now, unless I can find a garage that can fix it on a Saturday, I guess my hike is cancelled. Going for a 60 mile drive in the mountains with binding brakes would be unwise.

The thing is, this isn't the first Friday where a fault has cropped up with my car. I have two theories to account for this:

A) The car actually breaks earlier in the week, but you're so busy you don't notice till the weekend

or

B) The universe is inherently cruel and unfair

Which is it do you think?

Stood

Feb 21, 2012
Lancashire
Hi Wook,

Sometimes running the car backwards and 'bouncing' the brakes on/off and the handbrake in a similar fashion can free off sticking brake pads/pistons.

Not always but worth a try, may just help get your trip back on track.

Note: usuall elf n safety rules apply, if you hit something when going backwards its on you not me :)

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
In a word, no.

I was trying to think up a witty "Dammit Jim I'm an X not an X" joke, but nothing was forthcoming.... sorry :p

Amazing what you can achieve with enough leverage:

AK7313.jpg

Brakes pads and disks are a piece of **** with the right tools

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The brake pads might be tight in the guides - if you file a bit off the edges they can slide freely - might not be the pistons

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
One of my better local garages was able to fit me in without an appointment. They stripped and cleaned both rear brakes. £48 altogether.

The day is still yet young enough that I can go on that hike. It's a 12km walk, and the sun doesn't set till 10pm tonight.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I was gonna go up Glen Mark and have a bash at Balnamoon's Cave goatboy. Got those swim shoes all ready for the ford.

Quite bite to eat then I'll away.

I'd forgotten you were heading that way. Hope you have fun and find the place. Also good luck with the shoes - I'll worry now after recommending them. (They've worked for me for years - I got my first pair as a prezzie from the states yonks ago before you could get them over here, it was wetsuit boots before then.:)

Have a great day,
GB.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Just setting off now. I've heard it is a real challenge of navigation finding the cave since it is invisible from more than 30ft away. I've got my phone GPS, but I'm gonna try and find it without cheating. Got my 1:50,000 OS map and compass packed.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Just setting off now. I've heard it is a real challenge of navigation finding the cave since it is invisible from more than 30ft away. I've got my phone GPS, but I'm gonna try and find it without cheating. Got my 1:50,000 OS map and compass packed.

Be interested to hear if you find it and see some pics. Have looked at it online like you say a mare to find (Like the Secret Bothy - read Mountain Days and Bothy Nights cracking book).

Good luck,
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE