Whtat is wrong with these

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
managed to capture these can you give me some pointers

Cropped
blur.jpg

Cropped
antlers.jpg

red.jpg

Pointers please

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Lovely pics you've taken there Pignut.

About the only criticism I could make is that the first one seems ever so slightly out of focus. The body outline doesn't seem as crisp and sharp than the other 2.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Lovely pics you've taken there Pignut.

About the only criticism I could make is that the first one seems ever so slightly out of focus. The body outline doesn't seem as crisp and sharp than the other 2.

Indeed!

he was a long way off! the photo has been cropped quite heavily

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
IMO there's nothing inherently 'wrong' with any photo, there's just whether you're happy with it. Saying that what I would change:
pic 1. for me there isn't enough space to the left of the photo - you tend to follow the eyes to see what things are looking at and you can't - the head is a bit too close to the edge. Also on my monitor at least the focus isn't quite right - focus should almost always be spot on at the eyes
pic 2. I like it! Very sharp! You could argue that the black vertical line that appears to drop down from the antler is a bit distracting but I'm nit-picking there. Could be photoshopped out if you like
pic 3. jarrs to me since it's cut off at the ankles. Try panning down a bit to get the feet in... and feet? ankles? I'm too tired to wonder what they're actually called! Same also with the black vertical line from the antler.
All just my opinions, I'm sure others will have their own. Overall though, nice shots!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
IMO there's nothing inherently..............
pic 2. I like it! Very sharp! You could argue that the black vertical line that appears to drop down from the antler is a bit distracting but I'm nit-picking there. Could be photoshopped out if you like
pic 3. jarrs to me since it's cut off at the ankles. Try panning down a bit to get the feet in... and feet? ankles? . Overall though, nice shots!

Great info1 see what you mean about the feet!

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Can't say much about the first and second because they are cropped.

For the third photo, I can tell you what you did wrong. I can see that you are trying to focus on the eye because it's right smack in the center of the frame. That is why the leg is missing. So next time, focus, lock focus, reframe and then trip the shutter. It's not the best time of the day to be taking photos as well.

singteck

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
What glass were you using? Do you shoot in raw? They look a bit soft which i suspect might be processing rather than focus.....

I'm far from an expert but I enjoy taking pics. Its finding the time to do it....

Wildlife is tough to shoot as you cant seem to get as close as you want to. You therefore push the magnification and resolution which can be very demanding on the final images. Take loads and experiment, shoot in Raw if you can as its more forgiving

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
They look fine, I have an issue about the feet as well, but nowt much you can do about it now mate. As for post processing, I would burn in the background and lighten some of the shadows on the deer :)

I've done a quick and dirty example of what I mean, if you don't mind.

I darkened the background and lightened the deer, it helps to focus the eye on the subject, I cropped it a touch more so the deer is on a third and vignetted softly around the head. I sharpened it before saving.

I only spent a couple on minutes on it, more time would mean a better pic.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Nothing wrong with these. With digital - as Cobweb as pointed out - what's on the card is only the starting point - much more than with film where all the hard work has been done. That's not to say you shouldn't try to get the best image possible at snapping time...

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Pignut,

Don’t beat yourself up, they’re nice shots, but if you wanted to work on your composition a little, I think someone has already mentioned that shot one is walking on stumps and that’s gotta hurt! In the other two I think you would have felt better about them if you’d dropped your camera height a little and tried to get on the same eye level with the subject, a great tip for photographing kids too. But primarily I think you need to do a little reading on composition if you don’t feel it’s coming naturally to you, do a google search on the “rule of thirds” that should get you started.

I know it’s difficult with “wild” subjects, but it can be a valuable exercise to limit yourself to one shot per scene. It makes you look through the camera and assess the scene rather than just snapping away and hoping. You might decide to use your legs to get a different viewpoint or framing. It’s also good practice to force yourself to look at each bit of the frame, it’s easy to get fixated on the main subject and not look at the elements of the picture.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE