Who's Carved a Pipe?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just like the title says. Have any of you carvers and whittlers out there carved a pipe? If so, how did it come out and does it smoke well? Pics if you got 'em.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
I made one years ago, bowl was made from redheart, stem from ebony. It smokes very well, although a standard vulcanized stem might have been
a better option as the texture of the ebony feels slightly strange.
My Dad has it now, will try to get a pic if I can remember.

BTW I 'carved' the bowl out with a forstner bit, and mostly shaped it with a sander, so not a lot of knife work went into it.

Jack

Hi ,

I've made about 5 or 6 pipe's for friends using elder as the stem & neck, but normally with metal bowls. I would like to make a long stemmed briar one but have never found a suitable bit yet.
I use the elder because of the natural hollow once the pith is removed. Most have looked like old indian pipes but a few have been made with the thick part of branch with another branching off at an angle like a true pipe. I hollow out the bowl and line with white clay, you have to renew the lining every so often though : ).

The only knife work with these was carving design's on the stem's. I'm at work at the mo so can't post any pic's, but I'll have a look when I go home, but not sure If I still have pics of them.

cheers

Andy

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
I did. 2 actually. One with seperate bowl/shaft, though not very well. And then the shaft split. Bit of a disaster all round. And the other was this

IMGP0014.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE