Who uses Tyvek (or a copy) as a groundsheet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Just wondered exactly how water resistant this stuff is when used as a groundsheet?

I'm trying to lighten my load a little, so Tyvek may be a good start.

TIA.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Not particularly waterproof, just water resistant IMO, I seem to remember a hydrostatic head of 1000mm for house wrap.

For this reason, I've just laminated a tyvek groundheet to some self adhesive carpet protector I use on site. Its not tested yet and it is quite heavy, I don't think it'll be the answer

Have you seen Polycryro? Its very strong and light plastic sheet. Wickes sell it as secondary glazing film. You'll be pushed to find anything lighter :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Cheers bud, I knew it wasn't fully waterproof. Thanks for the heads up on the polycryo, I have to have a butchers and see if the dog punctures it!

Its got a very high tear strength but when its torn, it keeps going. Some Hippo tape or gaffer tape is a good partner to it to reinforce peg holes, or stick a rip back together :)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Iv been looking at this stuff for a ground sheet to Pete. Is sold In places like ridgeons too? We ain't got a wickes here in costa del march lol!!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Its a diy product mate, you might find it in a hardware shop locally or online. Ridgeons is trade, so I don't think you'll find it there. :(

I can grab some next time I'm in for ya, its not cheap though-think it was £7 or more. Its a big sheet though, enough for quite a few. :)

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Despite what other people say Spanders... I still think you're funny. :D

Besides; the frontier is only pressed steel not cast iron :) AND I'll have you know that on my last trip it was the Mini Bull stove and MyTi mug only...well I did take another Ti stove to experiment with as well!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If you're in a bivi bag, do you need a groundsheet at all, or are you taking a tent? I presume you're talking about the SDW?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I tried it a few years ago and its OK but will leak at points of pressure, such as where you knell or prop yourself up on an elbow.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Another vote for the Wickes stuff, I'm still using the same piece I cut last August. I must have had 40 nights on it

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
So you can get polycryo at Wicks? That's a result as I bought a couple of pieces from an ultralight backpacking website a few years ago, my son took them on a trip and I never saw them again and I can't find anymore. Its really good stuff, very light, surprisingly strong and does the job as a groundsheet.

Does it have a brand name or anything like that or is it sold simply as polycryo sheets?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE