Who sucks at carving?

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I know I do. I consider myself more of a 'whittler', which means I start on a piece of wood and whittle away until there's nothing left:rolleyes: Not much skill required there!
After seeing so much talent posted here I was hesitant to post pics of my godawful attempts to create anything recognizable but decided to go ahead anyway as I'm pretty sure no one started out making perfect things.
Rather than a first spoon I instead went for a first canoe.
Since I don't own a single proper carving tool all work was done with these two knives and nothing else.
While it may not be a thing of beauty, it was still fun to do.
IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Your not going to get very far in that canoe !! No paddle!!! Get carving!!!

Jason

Thankfully, this canoe will be restricted to the bathtub,(because of current ice conditions;)) so it shouldn't float off too far until I manage to hack out a paddle:D

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Thankfully, this canoe will be restricted to the bathtub,(because of current ice conditions;)) so it shouldn't float off too far until I manage to hack out a paddle:D

Carving a paddle to scale should be fun !! mind those fingers now !!!

Good stuff keep it up

Jason

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
It occurs to me that your fault may lie in the sucking of the wood rather then the use of a knife...

;)

na looks good that, got any small native american chaps to go in it?

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I thought of this when I saw your little canoe bb

http://www.nfb.ca/film/paddle_to_the_sea

Thanks for that Shewie, it was a great story. Maybe someday I'll be able to make something that nice.

It occurs to me that your fault may lie in the sucking of the wood rather then the use of a knife...

;)

Yes, I've got lots to learn about good vs bad wood.

[QUOTE na looks good that, got any small native american chaps to go in it?[/QUOTE]
My wife?:D:D:D(not a chap though-just thought I'd better clear that up!)

Last edited:

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
southey is guiding me , thanks Dave, im not that good yet but am very keen to learn this , i am starting with spoons then when i have masrered that gonna try a kuksa.

so yeh im also a beginer but take my hat off to you all that can do it .

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
thats some great work...keep going!! im just learning myself, having created a few spoon and toggle-type thing. im impressed you manage to create yours with just 2 blades...good stuff...

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
that looks pretty good, and surely harder to do than a spoon? i tend to get too annoyed when using trying to make spoons (never made one right) and they end up as feathersticks...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE