Who here has never owned a Mora?

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Me for one.

I would like to point out that I don't have any gripe against Mora, and have not started this thread as a Mora bashing exercise, it's just that I have never got around to getting one. I know they are widely recommended in every "what knife should I get?" thread, and millions of Swedes and Bushcrafters can't be wrong, but I often like to do things differently.

My first fixed blade was a Marttiini Lynx that I purchased in 2000 on a trip to Finland, long before I had an interest in Bushcraft. I used it in green woodworking, and the carving of my first spoon, and then much later joined the forum, and caught the knife making bug. Various of my creations have become my main user for a while. However, rough though they are, I love them and would hate to damage or lose any of them, and so I was thinking of getting a cheap user. As it happens I was ordering some other stuff from Axminster, and thought one of these was worth a punt at 4 quid.
P7180359.jpg

A Hultafors HVK craftsman knife, so I still don't own a Mora!

Are there any other non Mora owners out there?

Last edited:

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
that looks a fine knife for £4.

my first propper bush/hunting type knife was a smith & weston, dont know what sort, its still in my draw now awaiting a new handle as the original was dread full and gave me hell and all blisters on my palm...

then i got a mora....;)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i've got a couple of moras, and i've handled quite a few more, and i think that the hultafors HVK is better than any of them :)

I got a Mora on my first woodsmoke course, the ones with the red handle. Apparently they were all bought up and now come with a green handle.
I still use it alot to this day even though I have a nice Bernie Garland knife.

If I hadn't received it on the course I dont think I would have bought one.

Before that I had a cheap knife out of the local fishing shop, still have it, not used it much.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Me ! Never owned or used one. My first knife was a small stag handled Sheffield made dagger, then had a few Gerbers & Kershaw knives both fixed & folders, then started making my own.
For £4 you cannot go wrong with that knife, and its carbon steel as well. Next time I order from Axminster I might get one to have a play.

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
I don't have Hultafors to choose from over here so I'm stuck with owning Mora's but if it wasn't for owning a Mora I wouldn't be wanting to own a Hultafors .

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've never owned one. For that matter I've never even seen one (apart from photos) or known anyone personally who has owned one or been in a shop that stocked them. I'd never even heard of then until I joine this forum and BCUSA.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
errm

I going to put my hand up and say I was one of those who jumped in at the deep end and brought an expensive scandi knife at the start of when my "bushcraft" interest began(a shing bushcraft knife if I remember correct) and then had no idea how to sharpen it :eek: . I ended up screwing it up on a regular basis .
Although saying that I had loads of knives as a kid that I could sharpen, just never a scandi style bushcraft blade

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2012
essex
I've never owned one. For that matter I've never even seen one (apart from photos) or known anyone personally who has owned one or been in a shop that stocked them. I'd never even heard of then until I joine this forum and BCUSA.
same here, never had one and seen anyone with one.
I dont like plastic on larger knifes.

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
Never have and not likley to own one, its a 'we are drowning in a sea of plastic' thing, although they are undoubtably good and serve many people well, I personally hate them aesthetically speaking but I do have the luxury of making my own:cool:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Never have and not likley to own one, its a 'we are drowning in a sea of plastic' thing, although they are undoubtably good and serve many people well, I personally hate them aesthetically speaking but I do have the luxury of making my own:cool:
Not all Moras have plastic handles - the best ones have wooden handles!

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Never owned a Mora! i got a whitby as my first ever knife but it was carp, took ages to take an edge and then promptly lost it almost straight after lol

so decided to make a file knife..............it was hideous! made a few more out of flat stock and each one has got a bit better. I'm on my 10th now (Bowie with an 8 inch blade teeehehehehe) but kept the fourth as my main user

I am curious though to see how much stick one really could put up with!!

Dave

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
Not all Moras have plastic handles - the best ones have wooden handles!

Quite right, I probably mis-interpreted the OP I thought it refered more to plastic handles in general, a wooden handled spoon knife is on my list for the next trip over.

When Marples introduced plastic handles I didnt like them either although the steel was the same steel and the handle more capable of withstanding a pounding from the mallet, 25 years of working in wood and when up the woods with nature all around it seems right to have a wood handle not plastic, but then as Biker will tell you I'm passionate about wood in a midly eccentric way hence taking out all the perfectly functional plastic windows in our rennovation and replacing them with Oak box sashes!!!

Hope not to have caused offence:)

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Good to see that I'm not alone in non-Mora ownership. From the comments posted it would seem that plastic handles are a bit of a Marmite thing. Personally I don't have a problem with them in certain cases (I have just bought a Hultafors after all). I originally thought it would be a cheap way of getting a good carbon steel blank for a rehandling project, but the handle is surprisingly good in the hand, so I'll leave it as it is and it will be my "use and abuse" knife.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Never owned a mora always used sheffield folders up until about 10 years ago when i saw a bushy style knife for sale. Come to think of it my hobbie was a whole lot simpler back then before all the bushcraft gear started coming out and now its spoilt for choice and never quite happy with the gear we have.
I have recently brought a hultafors with the intension of turning it into a sheepsfoot blade for carving and for less than a tenner it seams very good. I wouldt use one as they come though just not realy my knid of thing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE