Who can make me a kuksa?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I am quite keen on the idea of getting a traditional kuksa. I have found several websites selling them but thought it would be nicer if someone i knew could make one. Makes it a little more sentimental and personal i think!

If anybody is aware of a maker then let me know! :D

Thanks.

Dan

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I am quite keen on the idea of getting a traditional kuksa. I have found several websites selling them but thought it would be nicer if someone i knew could make one. Makes it a little more sentimental and personal i think!

Thanks.

Dan

Why not try to make one yourself. All you realy need is a saw, knife, spoon knike, and your away.

Stu.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have a go yourself Dan over the winter months, I`m sure Robin can offer some advice if you ask him nicely.

Also jon r did a tutorial on here a while ago but the last time I looked at it he`d removed his photos, you drop him a PM to sort something.

Rich

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Why not try to make one yourself. All you realy need is a saw, knife, spoon knike, and your away.

Stu.
you do need to get it right first time either the thats aprt of the fun.
BTW whats traditional:rolleyes: Robin ran a thread about styles search for Kuksa and Kasa to see what I mean.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Robin Wood.
We aren't making them to sell at the moment because our completely hand carved ones are just too time consuming to be economically viable. Instead my plan is to get Robin to turn the bowl bit leaving a piece sticking out for the handle which I'll carve. I'll keep on reminding him about it and some time when he has the right wood in it might happen ...
Nicola

Roibeard

Nov 8, 2007
waterford/Cork, Ireland
Do any kuksa makers or even knife makes here use curly grain birch or birch burrs?
I have been looking for some in some forests. I am not sure how to ID it on a living tree just yet.
Is it just any big old knotty growths on birch trees?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
We aren't making them to sell at the moment because our completely hand carved ones are just too time consuming to be economically viable. Instead my plan is to get Robin to turn the bowl bit leaving a piece sticking out for the handle which I'll carve. I'll keep on reminding him about it and some time when he has the right wood in it might happen ...
Nicola

I only said he can, not he would!

:D

Oct 6, 2008

Thanks.

Dan

Could you possibly send me the websites you did find because I don't have the skills or the time to make my own and a Kuksa would make the perfect anniversary gift!
Thanks for your help!
Florie xx

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE