White Squirrel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
We have a snow white squirrel in our wood this winter. I first saw it several weeks ago, but then didn't see it for a while until just half-an-hour ago, when I went out with the dogs.

Albinism is quite common in mammals and birds, but I can't recall seeing an albino grey squirrel before. Apparently, they're not uncommon in North America and are even protected in some states, including Illinois. Olney (not the one in Buckinghamshire) is famous for them.

Burnt Ash

jakunen

Native
I dunno, a nice muddy river...

Looking at the pic he looks a few years old so he's obviously managed ok. If the pic was taken in the wild that is...

Not heard on 'leucistic'. I only know Albinistic (no pigmenation), hemi-albinistic (sub-normal pigmentation), normal, hemi-melanistic (semi-dark pigmentation), and melanistic (black pigmentation). Which begs the question - what do you call a melanistic blackbird???

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Courtesy of a Google Image search:

Albino%20Squirrel%20Feb%2001.jpg

Looks kinda funny to me... :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE