white rabbits,white squirrel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
i was out and about around the woods of the gower south wales,
when i came across 2 white wild rabbits with black spots:confused:
anyone else seen rabbits this colour or any outher colour in the wild.
ive also seen a pure white squirrel in a woods near canterbury in kent
first of i thought it was a ferret intell it shot up a tree,any one else seen anything like this before??.

Mar 25, 2010
accrington
Ive seen black rabbits and a grey and white one , seen a white crow aswell a few years back. I knew someone who had a stuffed albino badger too

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
The rabbits are almost certainly the descendants of escaped pet rabbits. I went ferretting a few years back on some private land, and we took a couple of black ones. The landowner was a little upset when we told him, apparently they were offspring of 'blackie', one of his kids' pet rabbits that escaped.

The squirrels are probably genetic albinos - there's an albino roe doe near us, she's beautiful.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
The rabbits are almost certainly the descendants of escaped pet rabbits. I went ferretting a few years back on some private land, and we took a couple of black ones. The landowner was a little upset when we told him, apparently they were offspring of 'blackie', one of his kids' pet rabbits that escaped.

The squirrels are probably genetic albinos - there's an albino roe doe near us, she's beautiful.

yup. Seen all manner of funny coloured rabbits out and about. they are all from escaped pet rabbits.

Mar 25, 2010
accrington

The grey and white are as you say decended from pet rabbits (my former boss released them as a kid on the farm) . The black ones im not sure about , they are not that uncommon , i ve seen more than a few while out with the lurcher and not just in one place , the latest last night but i dont do unauthorised shopping trips anymore so i didnt run it

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Apparently in the 18th/19th century it was common for landowners to release various colours of bunny for sporting purposes: you'd get more points for a particular colour, or could have them docked if you hit another. A bit sick really, but it meant that in many areas there were all sorts of peculiar looking rabbits.

Jan 2, 2010
cambridgeshire
we have a clolny of black squirrels in our village in CAMBS, been there a few years now, absolutely jet black and bold as brass.
My next door neighbour has a walnut tree, they suanter up the middle of the cul de sac , grab a few walnuts (careful about abbreiviating there) and wander off again.

zorro

Nomad
Jun 6, 2009
Chesterfield UK
I've seen three generations of cock blackbirds with white on their heads in my garden, the amount of white getting progressively less. It hasn't shown for the last few years, it's either bred out or the descendants have moved on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE