white light ,white light,

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
The other day I saw Johnny Kingdom using a white light to film badgers.
What experiences have people had using lights on badgers, deer and other wildlife?
Want to do some filming and the use of light would mean I wouldn't have to get quite so close as the night vision is a little bit limiting in distance.
I know red filters are meant to work? White light?
Ta Dave

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I have a video of a badger...I was about 10 feet away from it, and shining my big maglight right in its face. It was a wild badger and was not at all put off by the light....

leon-1

The other day I saw Johnny Kingdom using a white light to film badgers.
What experiences have people had using lights on badgers, deer and other wildlife?
Want to do some filming and the use of light would mean I wouldn't have to get quite so close as the night vision is a little bit limiting in distance.
I know red filters are meant to work? White light?
Ta Dave

I think Johnny also mentioned that he used it almost as a mimick of the moon.

I walked into a couple of badgers a few years ago on my way home from work, they were rummaging in the undergrowth directly under a street lamp, I came round the bend and there they were. I nearly missed my train home because of it.

Generally I would say that badgers don't seem to bothered about it, they seem far more bothered by movement. Move steadily and keep a respectful distance and you should have no problems.

A lot of animals stay on the periphery of a white light arc, just out of sight, red light works with some animals, green light works with others, it depends on what spectrum of light the animals eyes are more sensitive to.

When they say that animals see in black and white it's not strictly true, think of it more as colour blindness where they see certain colours, but not others, it's more like mono chromatic vision.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE