White Holly

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Has anyone ever come across white holly before? In one of our local woods I like to go walking in there is a single example of this. I've never seen it elsewhere before and there is no more like it in the woods. Over the last few years it doesn't seem to have grown much either.

DSC_0760_zpsu1k2e7jn.jpg

DSC_0765_zpsyzupzbtn.jpg

DSC_0764_zps76io6vvl.jpg

DSC_0761_zpsdcf72cam.jpg

Is this a one off? Has something caused it to turn white? Or are there other examples out there?

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
How would I go about taking a cutting of holly? I wouldn't want to damage the plant out in the wild and like I say there isn't much of it there.

I've always found it interesting and go and check it's still there when I'm passing.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think that's a diseased specimen and the white colour is lack of chlorophyll (Sp). The stems that are visible in the pics are deffo not healthy growth wood............

I wouldn't go taking cuttings or moving it anywhere else until you're sure what's caused this, though. I'm sure somebody will be along with the full S.P., and a lot more knowledge than me!

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Not being cheeky but.......it looks a bit dead:(

Do the branches snap? Stem looks a bit dry and dead and when you mentioned it hadn't grown much?

Just a thought.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
If it's dead, it's been dead for the last 5 years or so!!

As you can see there is green holly around it so if it's mineral deficiency then the ground is being rather selective. Next time I'm out there I'll have a closer look at the stem. Not so easy when you're out with a terrier!!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The minerals may well be in the ground in abundance but the plant unable to access them; some trauma caused by insect/rabbit/deer damage? root damage? Some diseased plants can live on for a long time, they just don't thrive.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Excellent information - Yet again, I've learned something from this forum that I would only have come across through serendipity, if at all. Great stuff, Ichneumon!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE