White Foam?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
Noticed something I haven’t seen before soapy foam bubbles running down the side of several tree’s, my google-fu is weak and I can only find 2 other people asking about the subject matter and no answers.

Bubbles.jpg
Bubbles01.jpg

Anyone know anything about this? :eek:

Any help appreciated :)

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Any chance they were chestnut trees as they can make a form of soap,with all this rain running down the trees at the moment it's all gathering at the bottom.Hopefully someone will be along soon with some more information.
Hope this was of some help.

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
looks like frog spit,don't some small frogs do this to lay eggs in or small bugs like on some grassland plants, here's a link to an answer from a similar problem.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Plant-Diseases-715/2009/3/Foam-around-trees.htm

Andy

It seemed to form as the rain water was running down the tree, kinda like it was coming out of the bark itself :thinkerg:

Any chance they were chestnut trees as they can make a form of soap,with all this rain running down the trees at the moment it's all gathering at the bottom.Hopefully someone will be along soon with some more information.
Hope this was of some help.

Beech I believe.

udamiano

On a new journey
It's likely to be the saponin from the tree, its a natural type of soap, that is used by the tree as a form of defence again insects. Beach trees and oak trees both contain saponin within the bark. Looking at the picture I'm pretty sure that's what it is
Hope this helps
Da

Last edited:

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
It's likely to be the saponin from the tree, its a natural type of soap, that is used by the tree as a form of defence again insects. Beach trees and oak trees both contain saponin with the bark. Looking at the picture I'm pretty sure that's what it is
Hope this helps
Da

Thank you very much :eek:

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Was on the bottoms of the tree's (large beech) just as we left the wooded area through the archway...!

Seen it on several tree's. Morel hunting where we :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE