Whistles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
after carving a few spoons i fancy starting to carve some whistles and especially as santa brought me a dremel which will be handy for drilling and buffing...any tips???
THanks
Jamie :D :red:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Elf Whistle
Take a piece of Elder wood - any length any diam and remove pith for at least 5cm. About 1.5 cm in cut a notch with a verticle face on the side nearest the end you removed the pith from and a 45 degree face on the other side. the notch should just meet the hollow where the pith was. Cut a piece of green wood as long as rg wood between the mouth end and the start of the notch which is the same diam as the ex-pith tube. Slice aprox 1/3 of the wood away down one side of this plug. Fit plug into tube so it is flush with the vertical face of the notch and the gap is aligned with the 45 degree face. Blow. adjust cuts until it whistles. Adjust tone by varying width of the bore/ depth of the tube.
I hope that helps!

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
John Fenna said:
Elf Whistle
Take a piece of Elder wood - any length any diam and remove pith for at least 5cm. About 1.5 cm in cut a notch with a verticle face on the side nearest the end you removed the pith from and a 45 degree face on the other side. the notch should just meet the hollow where the pith was. Cut a piece of green wood as long as rg wood between the mouth end and the start of the notch which is the same diam as the ex-pith tube. Slice aprox 1/3 of the wood away down one side of this plug. Fit plug into tube so it is flush with the vertical face of the notch and the gap is aligned with the 45 degree face. Blow. adjust cuts until it whistles. Adjust tone by varying width of the bore/ depth of the tube.
I hope that helps!

Yes I've made some like that, they take a bit of fiddling to get a good sound but it's quite easy. I have managed to make an open ended whistle (penny whistle stile) like that as well but it's a lot harder getting it to whistle than the closed ended ones.

There are a couple of good sites about this on the web, I'll try and find one.

Heres one, its a bit short but it's got some diagrams.
http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/fun/whistle.htm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE