whisky stave bowdrill

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I'd had a go with Toddy's bowdrill set and wanted to make a similar style set... I had a lot of oak staves from some old whisky casks and made myself a set. Its got renewable tips and still retains some of the whisky smell to the wood. The bow is about 18-20" long..
As its shorter, and the bearing block has a deepish socket, its a bit easier for the boys (and me) when using...

bow_drill.jpg

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Hello, so far it does ;-) Joe and I are practicing bow drill again this evening after work....

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
Good luck with that John I hope you and the boy are successful, its a brilliant skill to have.

i cant wait to practice it.

Tom

P.S dont forget to take the marshmallows for when you do get a fire going :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very neat John :D

Incidentally, the same sized set from Tutankhamun's tomb also had a copper band reinforcing around the socket for the spindle tip :D

atb,
M

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
...is that a little sheet of leather top left, is it for a hearth,

It's to catch an (hopefully) glowing ember from the board and hold it off the ground till moved...

The copper bands a bit of piping, I was concerned the presure on the tip end would split the drill socket..

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Have you had ignition John ?

Chris has been trying the bowdrill as well - he gets smoke but struggles to exert enough power and control to get an ember. I will be interested to hear if Joe manages it.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Jane and me had a go last night with success....

bow_drill3.jpg

Jane blazing away

bow_drill4.jpg

lots of smoke

bow_drill2.jpg

an ember... we left it alone as Mary suggested,,,,

bow_drill5.jpg

and we got fire,.... The chickens were interested on the set up, but headed off once the smoke started...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE