Which water purification tabs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Realised that I carry no emergency water purification methods with me. But also realised I have no idea which ones to get, there seems to be a wide selection available. I have a Sawyer mini, and a Bilmo bag + boiling, as my primary means of water treatment, but would like to have something on hand as a backup if either of the others is compromised. What do people suggest?

Thanks

Julia

bearbait

I have some Katadyn Micropur MP1 in my emergency kit. Not used them yet but they came quite well recommended. (I also have a Sawyer, a Katadyn Base Camp Filter and a Katadyn Pocket Filter which get used in preference.) As the manufacturer's spiel says "The Only EPA Registered Purification Tablets on the Market! And the only disinfection system effective against viruses, bacteria, cryptosporidium, and Giardia. No unpleasant taste."

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
What ever comes in the 24hr rat pack, never use them though, got a katadyn pocket, sawyer mini and pre-mac travel well that I prefer to use.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I am skinflint. I use wilko sterilisation tablets, and crush and measure the right amount for one litr and wrap in cling film. I use aldi energy tablets or lidl drink powder to nutrilise the taste. Anything with citric acid will get rid of the bleach taint, the energy tab and a pinch of dioralyte is a really good pick me up.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
If your going to let them go out of date as they're only for emergencies, try the really expensive ones that are an all in one tablet, such as chlorine diox they're quick, they're simple, you don't get many in a pack they're bad value( but cheaper than two sets of the others), so if your going to waste cash do it in style, like me.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
My primary way is milbank bag + MOD water purification tablets + boil. I am looking for a pumped filter system that gives access to shallow water sources and screws onto the MOD Osprey water bottle; when I find such a filter the first method above will become my backup.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE