Which Trangia cook set finish?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
On my wish list is a Trangia cook set but I am unsure of what surface finish will be best? The options as far as I know are plain Aluminium, non-stick and hard-anodized.

I probably would look at getting one of the last two options and do like stuff not sticking to pans but does HA have any pro's over the Teflon?

Cheers,

Steve.

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
The hard anodized pan are also ultralight (UL-HA) - not sure if the non-stick ones are.

If you look at the specs on the trangia site, the UL-HA sets come in lighter than their counterparts with non-stick pans.

865g vs 980g for the set with 2 pans plus frypan (no kettle) so not much lighter really

The hard anodized is sexy ;) (with a price tag to match)

Reaps72

Forager
Jul 20, 2011
West Yorkshire
My view is only if your ultra light anal go hard anodised, but really please are you going to sweat an extra few grammes?

I was bought the bog standard 27 & I added a big size nonstick frypan & pan at about £3-5 each.

No stuck bacon no stuck poached eggs.

My main advice though is go with the 25 series the smaller one is a bit too small, ok for solo,
but when me & Mrs a bit tight! & that's the pans not my Mrs!

+ I have made a couple of secondary pop-can stove set ups to be able to make a brew etc as I cook! (you obviously have pans already) (Not trying to suck eggs)
But you can get mini trangia copies cheap if you don't fancy making them but the extra stoveage is a godsend trust me!

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
No not fussed too much about the grammes, if I was into backpacking I would probably start with reducing the 15,000 or so I have extra to my needs in my belly:lmao:

Steve.

Reaps72

Forager
Jul 20, 2011
West Yorkshire
No not fussed too much about the grammes, if I was into backpacking I would probably start with reducing the 15,000 or so I have extra to my needs in my belly:lmao:

Steve.

I know what you mean fella this time last year I climbed Skiddaw & talked to a complete stranger in pub after I said "Completely knackered tough climb is Skiddaw!" he replies "if you carry that much extra weight no wonder!" I didn't know whether
to deck him of or crease up ! So just walked off in shock!

Last edited:

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
My view is only if your ultra light anal go hard anodised, but really please are you going to sweat an extra few grammes?

I was bought the bog standard 27 & I added a big size nonstick frypan & pan at about £3-5 each.

No stuck bacon no stuck poached eggs.

Same here, bought a 'bog standard' 27 with kettle, and have since 'upgraded' to a non stick Trangia frying pan

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have the old duosal pans in my 25. Agreeing on the size, unless you are a gramhunting solo fanatic the bog standard one is fine. The duosal pan is not non-stick, but I can abuse it to get it clean when things stick *anyway*.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
I bought a 25 set with HA pots, not particularly because I needed it to be HA, but it was what was in the store at the time and I had to bite the bullet and get the thing at some point (I am quite good at finding useful kit but then giving it a miss or putting it off when it's time to hand over the cash!).

I'm pretty happy with the HA pots but I ended up buying a NS frying pan for it, because it's still a bit of a bugger to scrape remnants of a fry-up from it after every use.

I think if I ever got a little 27 or similar for backpacking use (25 is a bit meaty for manpacking along with everything else, but a good camp stove) then I would get the non-stick pots. You would save on quite a bit of water and effort when cleaning them.

I would also say do get the kettle. It all stows internally so no added drag, it's an efficient way of getting hot water on (even of cooking boil-in-the-bags inside it) and by stowing the burner, pot grabber and any other little gubbins inside the kettle you'll be less likely to get your nice NS/HA pans scratched on the inside.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE